Thursday, November 01, 2007

What happened to fun?

Did you all have a nice Halloween? I had a *great* Halloween. I guarantee you that none of you enjoyed your Halloween more than I enjoyed mine. But that's all you get - you'll just have to imagine what I might've been up to. As Salt n Pepa say, "It's none a yo bizness!!" So why blog it? Why toss out the morsel but not give you the meal? Because that's how I roll. (I'm doing what looks like some kind of hip-hop, gang sign thing right now. Imagine that, too.) Word.

Okay, so what AM I willing to talk about? Hmmmm. Let's see. Let's talk about the decline of modern civilization - particularly with respect to cherished American holidays that are being butchered.

Case in point: Halloween parties in schools. Seems the trend now is to call them "Fall Festivals" and the kids can't wear scary Halloween costumes - presumably they all have to dress up as pumpkins and princesses. How freakin' lame. Let's see if I can say this clearly enough for all the PC folks and religious fanatics: Halloween is not evil. It's not a celebration of evil. It's not an invitation for evil. It's not Armageddon come to Mayberry. Please do not preach to me about how it started or how it glorifies the devil or demons or any of that garbage. I'm not even listening. In fact, I'm covering my ears. "I'm not going to listen to this...I'm not going to listen to this..." (Anyone recognize the movie reference/clip? Another of my obscure favorites, and if you know it, you rock.)

Halloween is one day a year where the kids (and adults if you're cool enough) get to dress up and pretend to be whatever character their heart desires, and not only do they get to ask without shame for a cache of candy - they're *supposed* to! It's FUN. Not evil - FUN. If "scary" is thrown into the mix, all the better, because we all like to get scared. That's why roller coasters and horror movies do so well. Lighten the frig up. You shouldn't worry if you're 8-year-old wants to pretend to be a goblin for Halloween. You should worry if he/she wants to be Lindsay Lohan (unless he/she is making fun of LiLo, in which case you praise them for the wry social commentary). K?

I guess our next stop is Thanksgiving, where we all try to pretend its about turkey and not being grateful for the country we live in.

Is all that too bitter? Okay, here - to lighten the mood. I want to work at this office. Oh wait...I kinda do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our schools (wait, no our PARENTS) have gone way overboard on what is PC, what is *safe*, and not understanding the events that made being a kid fun! What happened to that? I say "Preach On" sister!

Great U-Tube link for the swear jar. I want to work with you.

Oh wait - what FUN did you have on Halloween? I need to know!