Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Oh, well...yeah

So, my boyfriend came over last night and we decided to tackle the DSL problem. Because we're problem solvers. Both of us. And between the two of us, this problem could be solved. What problem couldn't we solve, I ask you?

I searched until I found the paperwork for my DSL service, cleverly hidden in a box under my desk. I'm such a minx, hiding things from myself like that. It wasn't in the least annoying as f*ck looking everywhere for it - like in my files related to my computer.

We did the troubleshooting stuff. Nothing. No change. So, we re-launched the set-up CD, which is also not in the least annoying as f*ck what with the screen that launches being too small and the buttons you need to click on to advance through the set-up being located outside the viewable area and there being no way to scroll the page down. What could possibly be aggravating about that?

But we limped through the CD, doing our best. At a certain point, the instructions said that if you still didn't have a DSL signal, to call customer care. Boyfriend passed me the phone and exited the office at this point. Only one of us could talk to AT&T (I think they frown if you put them on speaker phone and have more than one person yelling at them at a time), and since I'm the one who knows the passwords and such for my computer (in theory, anyway), it made sense for me to take over. And yet...I am computer stupid, so this can lead nowhere good.

I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with the tech guy. He couldn't figure it out. The signal leading into the house was dead as a doornail. He'd have to pass me to a maintenance guy (I pictured a man with a drill and a blue shirt with his name embroidered on it, and I was unconvinced he'd be able to help me). He did.

Maintenance Guy and I talked a bit, then to do more trouble-shooting he thought we should check the filters on all my phone lines. I was to go to each phone, pick it up, and see if I had noticeable static on any of them. I actually only have two hard line telephones, so this didn't take long - particularly after I picked up the second one and noticed what I'd been too oblivious to notice when I picked up the first one. See, I was listening for static. There wasn't any on the first phone. Or the second. There wasn't any static...or...(wait for it)...a dial tone.

Yes, campers, my phone is out. According to my caller ID, and recollections by Boyfriend and me as to when I first noticed the DSL was out, my freakin' phone has been out FOR A WEEK and I only figured it out last night!! It's possible I may be more than "computer" stupid.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Oh NOOOOOO!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but I HAD to laugh...that is TOTALLY something I would do!!!

Unknown said...

The thing is... Your phone line and DSL aren't supposed to go out see... So it shouldn't matter if you are compstup, or phonestup, it's the big business' that are taking advantage of poor little Suzy Q! Never give up, never say die, and you'll be online and chattin away again in no time...