Monday, November 12, 2007

TAR, Week 2

I actually watched the whole episode of The Amazing Race last night, so I am ready to comment cogently! Let me start by saying that it's still a little early for me to have found teams to root for or against this season, but a few are edging forward.

As usual, we have a Barbie team, and I wanted to slap them on sight (when they showed the one diligently applying lip gloss as they waited for the bus, I wanted to grab it from her, snap it in half and throw it on the pavement - don't ask me why, I just did). And I think I'm going to hate Ron really soon. Within the first 15 minutes, I was already just about yelling everytime they showed him badgering Chris. By the end of the show, I wanted someone to staple his mouth shut. He seriously needs to shutty.

On the "like" side, I don't have anyone I'm totally rooting for yet, but I'm finding myself suprisingly liking the goths. They work really hard and work nicely as a team and they cracked me up a couple of times. When Kynt said, "I'm kind of a prissy boy" when he didn't want to do the ditch vault, that made me laugh. God love honesty. So, let's get to the action!

First leg: Fly from Dublin to Amsterdam.
This was pretty straightforward - the only real drama was from Ron. When he went off on Nick because Nick was pushy with the ticket clerk, my jaw dropped. Yo - Ron. Dude. You're not Nick's dad, and I'm pretty sure that unlike obedient, patient, sweet little Chris, he would've stabbed you in the chest 2 years ago if he were...and the jury would've let him off. Step the frig off.

Detour: Hoist It or Hunt It.
While I have a pretty keen eye, I think I would've gone with the hoist it. It's right there and barring any catastrophes, it would go faster than the bike thing. The only thing is I don't know jack about knots, so I'd probably have to be the one at the top hoisting the furniture in through the window - I know, that's the cush part. But I wouldn't pepper the person down below with useless advice on how to do the knots, so that would automatically make me a better partner than half the people we saw last night. Oh, and did anyone hear Jennifer when she said, "Oh my (bleeping) gosh!" Um, honey, if you've been bleeped for what was probably the f-word, you can probably just go on and say God instead of gosh. The ship has sailed at that point on your language.

Roadblock: Ditch Vault.
I could have totally done this. And my favorite moment of the show came during this segment. No, it wasn't when Grandpa stripped down to his undies. I could've done without that. It was when Shana ate it. Lipgloss doesn't help much when you're chest-deep in a black bog, does it, sweetie? Awesome. (Shout out to the gods for that.) This segment is also where Ron and I would've thrown down. When he said to Chris, "You need to lose some weight" I'm pretty sure I would've told him, "And you need to shut your mouth, old man, before I take you the fuck out." That's presuming I hadn't already beaten him to death with the vaulting pole at the bog. WOW does that guy make me thank God for my own father.

Pit Stop.
Lorena and Jason won this leg. That's cool. Like I said, I don't have a favorite team yet, and they seem fine. I kind of liked Kate and Pat, so too bad they're gone so soon, but I can't say I'm surprised. They weren't really built to last in a contest like this. Nick and Don will probably be gone fairly soon, too. Grandpa isn't going to be able to keep up. I'm not sure who else yet is likely to make a quick exit, but it looks like we've got some meltdowns coming next week. That should be interesting.

1 comment:

Judy said...

It is a good season for TAR, but when is it not? I'm loving it so far!