Thursday, May 29, 2008

Must. Have. Air.

It would be bad if the air conditioning was off in my office. It's worse that it appears to be on and broken, because this way, it's like the heat is on. Seriously, it's in the 80s in my office and hot air is blowing on me.

I have a fan sitting a foot from me trying to fight against the tide of hot air coming out of the ceiling vents. It's a valiant little soldier of a fan, and I will give it a treat later for it's loyal service. But for the moment, I'm just trying to stay awake.

The best part is when I and my co-worker who is on the same circuit told our office manager about the problem, and she proceeded to ponder what it could be. "Is it the breaker?" "I don't know. It's like the heat is on." "Well, they were on the roof yesterday and they did something to trip breaker. It was completely off." "Uh-huh. Well, right now the air is blowing; it's just hot." "If it were the breaker, the air wouldn't be blowing." "Just go to my office. See what I'm talking about." "Hmmm..."

It was all I could do to keep from screaming, "Just call a repairman!!" This particular person is famous for telling you that what is happening is not happening when you tell her it's happening. "My phone isn't working." "Oh, it is. You just pushed the wrong button." "No. I didn't push any buttons." "Yeah, you did. It's fine." Then after 2 more days of your phone not working, she finally says, with incredulity dripping from her voice, "Well, you're right! Your phone is not working!" Then she regails you with a monologue on why the problem is "so weird" and why she assumed the phone/air conditioning/etc. was actually working even though you told her it wasn't and she finally calls a repairman.

I've had it happen with her time and again in various situations. It's her m.o. Like an insurance company that denies claims, just hoping the client will go away, she gives you all the reasons that what you're telling her is incorrect and why she does not, in fact, need to do anything when you tell her something is wrong and you need her to do something.

I'm going to pray on all that is holy that she'll get someone out this morning to handle the air conditioning thing, because seriously - I'm just going to nap all day if this goes on.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Good gracious, woman! Please tell me that they are fixing this even as I write!

No a/c in Austin in May? NO!!!!!!! You should get a day off for that (and come soak in the river...)