Friday, May 30, 2008

Coolin' my heels

We got a verdict yesterday on the a.c. in my office - the compressor is out. Of course. And the part they needed to fix it had to come from San Antonio. Again, I say, "Of course." So, our office manager told us yesterday afternoon that the part wouldn't arrive until around Noon today, and it would take about 4 hours to repair.

Oh, hell no.

This was unacceptable. I was not spending another entire day in an 84-degree office. So, I approached my boss, who was also stuck with the ridiculous temps in her office and suggested that after a mandatory meeting this morning, we request to work from home - where we both had air conditioning. The request was approved, probably because there's some law against forcing employees to work in a literal sweatshop, and I've had the pleasure of working from the air-conditioned comfort of my home this fine Friday. Good thing. When I went in this morning for the mandatory meeting, my office was already 82 degrees - at 7:30 a.m. mind you. I don't even want to know how hot it's gotten by now.

Anyway, the a.c. issues should be resolved by the time I go back on Monday. Woo and hoo, people. Not that I mind working from home. In fact, now that I think about it, I've got a screwdriver - I wonder if I could find the right a.c. unit if I got up in our crawlspace in our building...

1 comment:

Judy said...

I've got a screwdriver...

I was hoping for the alcoholic kind - it is Friday, you know!