Tuesday, October 16, 2007

You go boyee.

It must be really fun to work at HEB. Like you're at a party. Or a club.

I don't know if it's like that at every HEB, but there's evidence that it's that way at the Hancock Center HEB.

I never noticed it until I went there at lunch today, but there are these big stripes on the floor by the cash registers. They run parallel to the registers, like the yellow brick road, leading you to the glory that is check-out, except they're purple and...some other color. Green maybe. I forget now. But the big stripes are topped by squares.

Technically, the stripes are topped by diamonds, because the squares are turned 45 degrees so that the point is down, but I don't want to get to crazy with the detail and have people asking, "HEB sells diamonds?" Let's stay focused.

So, I stood in line with my purchases, waiting for my turn to put my stuff onto the conveyor belt, and this manager walks by me, stops on a square to my right, and starts dancing. He was breakin' it down. He was steppin'. He was livin' in a world of illusion, all within the little square on the floor, to the music in his head. I wanted to join him.

Then he stopped, a "Thas right" expression on his face, possibly aimed at someone, but I didn't see who, and he moved on down the road to return to his grocery-store manager duties.

I got back to my office, where no one dances, and just for a moment, I wondered what kind of paycut I'd have to take to be a manager at the Hancock Center HEB.

No comments: