Sunday, October 28, 2007

But...it was just a whirring sound.

Crime in Italy, I should've sold the beloved Cougar a month ago. Or two months ago or whatever. I just shouldn't still be owning it at this moment.

Last week I noticed a whirring sound under the hood. Not awful - not that horrible screaming sound that a loose belt makes. Just a whirring. "I should get that looked at," I thought.

I chatted with the folks to see when it might be convenient for me to borrow one of their cars so I could take mine to the shop. Seemed like it wouldn't be convenient for a couple of weeks, so no problem. I can ignore the whirring sound in the meantime. Just turn up the radio, right?

Well, the whirring got way more insistent around Thursday. That made me nervous. Friday morning, it did it all the way to work. Okay, that's it - if I drive the thing all weekend like that, I'll probably melt the flux capacitor or something. So, I took it to the shop at lunch and grabbed a rental car. Don't even get me started on the renting fiasco. It involved some guy who doesn't speak English being sent to pick me up, and no one seeming to know where the garage was...two blocks away.

Anyhoo, the garage called me Friday afternoon. To fix the whirring, a new water pump and belts of some kind will be ordered at a cost of $500 and something. Ouch. Add $100 plus for renting the rental car for 4 days. Oh, and there was also, "Ma'am when did you last have a brake job?" Um....never. Yeah, my car has 94,000 miles on it. The guy at the garage was incredulous that I had any brakes left at all. So, ring up another $275 or so for new brakes. That brings us to about $1,000.

Sir...I think you must've misheard me. It was just a whirring sound.

So, after I've emptied my bank account for the damn whirring sound, I'm going to give it a couple of months, then we're off to incur a new car payment. I've already picked out my new car, but apparently you actually have to go and purchase it before they'll let you start driving it, so after I've gotten at least a few miles from the $1,000 I'm putting into the Cougar, I'll make that happen.

In the meantime, I'm stylin' up Austin in a white 4-door Ford Focus. Don't be jealous.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Lay low - you don't want anything happening to that hip car now, you hear?

You can't get in on that whole swap-your-car-for-a-week deal that I keep seeing on the commercials? Maybe you could swap about 8 times???