Friday, October 26, 2007

It doesn't get any easier, little one

My co-worker has an 8-year-old son, and he is learning the things of love (Hey, I had my first crush in pre-school. His name was James, and he was dreeeeeeamy!).

Two weeks ago, he told my co-worker about his lady love (we'll call her Nancy) while they were riding in the car. After extolling her many virtues and informing my co-worker and that he and Nancy were going to get married one day, he fell silent for a few moments, looked wistfully out the window and said, "If only Nancy lived on our street. I'd go over to her house, knock on the door, and we'd play all day." The stuff of dreams.

Alas, the dream is over. Riding home yesterday, he was irritable. He complained about the street sounds coming through my co-worker's sunroof and informed her that he couldn't relax with all that noise. He was grumpy. When they got home, he came clean. "Mamma, I'm not just upset about the noise." And then he told her the sad news that Nancy had broken up with him. Many tears were shed.

It seems that the other kids had made fun of Son and Nancy over the two-week tenure of their romance, and their love could not survive the onslaught. I wish I could tell Son that love gets easier, but I'd be lying. (sigh)

Oh, that "growing up" thing is hard!!

1 comment:

Judy said...

Oh, this made ms so sad! Poor little guy!