Monday, October 29, 2007

Ees goot day

Okay, I'm still not recovered from staying out too late on Saturday - I went to bed a little early last night, but apparently not early enough. And I'm having allergy issues, so mostly I want to go home and lay on the couch. But aside from that, it's shaping up to be a good day.

The garage expects to have my car ready by the end of the day, so God willing, I'll be back in the Cougar after work today - woohoo! My rental is fine, but I hate driving a car I'm unfamiliar with. I don't know where all the controls are, and my touch on the brakes isn't right (the Cougar is a stick, so if I forget and use my left foot to break on an automatic, I nearly throw myself and all passengers through the windshield), and I don't have my tunes, and well...it's just not my own little automotive home. So, I'll be happy to be back in the saddle tonight. And then in a month or so, I'll get a new saddle.

The weather is awesome. MAN I love this time of year! Football, volleyball, holiday parties beginning, the chance to wear sweaters, starting to think about Christmas gifts for people (Notice I didn't say buying - just thinking about it. I love thinking about what would be a great gift for someone. The buying comes closer to the season.), sitting out on the patio at all happy hours and dinners possible - it's heaven. Love it.

My stocks are up. My "for fun" portfolio has been in the black for quite a while. Even though a few of the ones I've got right now are clunkers, a few others are super stars, so the portfolio as a whole is rockin' and rollin'. Especially lately it's been really performing well. I first started picking the stocks in June, adding a few here and there, and at the moment, the entire portfolio is up almost 33%. It's like winning a game or something. Except that if I cash out, I get actual cash. But I'm going to try to go long-term to keep the capital gains taxes down, so no cashing out yet! Hopefully, if there's a downturn, I'll be quick enough to bail before I lose anything, but I went into it knowing I could lose it all, so much like a slot machine, I'm takin' my chances!

Speaking of slot machines, I saw Tuna Does Vegas last night - the next installment of the Tuna series of shows. As usual, I laughed often and felt the strangely familiar feeling that certain members of my family were on stage. Those shows are an absolute must if you're from Texas - particularly if you're more than one generation invested and at least some of your relatives don't live in one of the state's big cities. I've blogged about the Tuna shows before, though, so I'll leave it at that.

So, for many reasons, it's a good day despite my feeling like crap. With any luck, I'll make it through the day without falling asleep on my keyboard. I'm going to guess that's frowned upon.

1 comment:

Judy said...

You and Tyler - he's got a head full, poor kid. But, we so love this time of year and keep the windows open and us outdoors as much as possible. The boys have an air purifier in their room, so that helps balance the allergens we're spilling into the house with the windows up!

HOpe you got your car today!