Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When it rains, it pours...

and I won't be able to dry my wet clothes. Sorry for yet another delay on the TAR recap, but another fantastic development on the homefront has reared its head. My dryer has gone out.

It's the heating element, and probably I could get it fixed, but this dryer was my parents' dryer a million years ago, and I salvaged it about 10 years ago from this same problem by changing out the heating element, and it seems like maybe it's just time to let this dryer go to that great appliance salvage yard in the sky. I'm not exaggerating that this dryer is probably 40 years old. I'd say 30, but I think that's being generous. J opened up the back yesterday to see if he thought he could fix it, and aside from 10 years worth of dust bunnies, he didn't find much useful back there. It seemed like a lot of work that he wasn't terribly sure of, and in this day and age, I have to ask myself if the thing is even remotely energy efficient. I have to guess not.

So, it's off to Lowe's this weekend for a new, hopefully more energy efficient dryer. I'll do some research online but does anyone have any recent experience with buying a new dryer that they'd like to share? Any suggestions on models to stay away from or ones that they just love? I'm all ears!

1 comment:

Judy said...

We have a Whirlpool and love it - mid-grade line. Of course, it will probably go out now...

We had this same dryer at our old house and left it there as part of the sale, and as far as we know, the people still have it.