Friday, November 14, 2008

Cartoon excellence

I'm not a huge cartoon watcher, but I have found a few over the years that connect with my funny bone in just the right way. I have a good sense of humor (or so I'm told) - dry and usually quick, and I really enjoy the occasional smart cartoon that plays to that. I'm not talking about the dark stuff or erotica or anime, and I'm not talking about comic books. I'm talking about actual moving cartoons that an adult with a wry wit can appreciate.

So I thought I'd start a new feature here on the blog where I share clips of my favorite cartoons. Some of these first aired on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network. They sometimes comes up with some good stuff. They also dole out a lot of crap, though, so I'm by no means a devotee of that block of programming. But there is the occasional gem. Sadly, some of my favorites are no longer running, but the magic of YouTube and the Internet and such means I've been able to track down some of the ones I like best. Hopefully you'll get a kick out of them, too. I may not share an entire episode - just whatever clip of it gives you a good essence of the humor or some particular scene that really cracks me up for whatever reason.

For our first installment, I'll share with you a long clip (12 minutes) - it's the weekend after all, right? This is an episode of the show "Space Ghost Coast to Coast." For those who don't know, "Space Ghost" was a cartoon in the 60s. It was your typical superhero cartoon, where he fights all kinds of supervillains, and I've never seen even a single episode, because I'm not 9. "Space Ghost Coast to Coast" was developed in the 90s. For this fantastically funny show, the creators took the Space Ghost character and gave him a talk show - in space. All of his guests are real, live action actors, musicians, comedians, etc. They appear in a screen next to Space Ghost's desk and he interviews them. Except he's an idiot. And his band leader and producer are both alien slaves that are constantly trying to undermine him. It's genius.

In this episode, Space Ghost's guests are Thom Yorke of Radiohead and Bjork. Bjork is a freak in general, so you can guess that she presents rich material for a comedic mind. Anyway, here is the whole episode, "Knifin' Around" - please to enjoy!

No comments: