Friday, August 08, 2008

In my email...

Angie says, "You will be approved."

That's awesome, Angie. I like approval. I really do. I suppose I should be one of those people who just knows my own greatness and doesn't need the approval of others to be validated, but the truth is, I get a lot out of a pat on the back from someone else.

It's true that I can hear 10 people say I'm fantastic, and if one says I suck, I'll obsess about the one who hates me. That's got to be a flaw of some kind, and I'm working on that, though I think most people are probably like that. We all want to be liked. We all want other people to say we're the stuff of genius and all of our decisions are exactly the right ones. It's a pretty common emotional need. Otherwise peer pressure and advertising probably wouldn't work.

So, thanks Angie. Thanks for letting me know that my future will be filled with approval. Makes me look forward to the days ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just completed a 360 Feedback process at work, and out of the 20 or so positive & shining comments I got, I focused on the ONE (only one) negative comment. Of course... it's what we humans do. Especially me.