Friday, August 22, 2008

Come on, now.

Yahoo news had the following headline, "U.S. makes history in table tennis."

Table tennis. I think you mean ping pong. I'll try to control my excitement about U.S. athletic excellence in ping pong.

I mean, seriously - ping pong as an Olympic sport? That's really stretching it, folks. What would the training diet for that be? What kind of endorsements do you think the gold medal winner will get? You think Nike and Reebok have been in talks behind the scenes with the front-runners?

Really, people, what's next? Hopscotch? Jumping rope? How about some nail-biting see-saw competition or paddle ball?


And don't ask me, "Well, could you do it?" No. I couldn't play ping pong better than anyone else in the world. I can't Riverdance either. Doesn't mean it should be an Olympic sport. (Though that would actually have more of a justification for it than ping pong. At least it requires actual athleticism.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you have no idea how much Jason and I were laughing about the whole concept of certain "activites" being dubbed Olympic sports... Race-Walking. Have you heard about that one yet? Oh, and last night we saw BMX racing. It was badass, but an Olympic sport? Really?
What's next?... P*nis-wrestling? Cherry stem tongue-tying?

Judy said...

I'm with Angie - we saw the BMX racing last night and I almost lost it - are you KIDDING me???? They're taking baseball and softball out, but riding a bicycle in the dirt is in??? Fo' Real???