Thursday, January 31, 2008

In the News

Lotsa crazy news today - some good, some not, some just plain weird.

On the good side, some scientists discovered that electrical impulse therapy could bring back memories. The thought is that this discovery could hold be a big step forward in learning how to help Alzheimer's patients. I find the idea that memories are literally locked in our brains somewhere, just waiting to be unlocked by the right electrical impulse absolutely fascinating. We know so little about the brain, and this is just one more step in understanding how it works. Memories aren't just erased or lost - they're there. You just need the right key to unlocking them. This makes me think that somewhere in our brains, every sensory input we receive is stored - every smell, every sight, every taste, every experience. We just don't know how to access all of it. Truly, truly fascinating.

On the bad side, poor Britney was hauled away yet again. That girl is just tragic.

And apparently, the Super Bowl could cause a spike in heart attacks. How do those football players live with themselves?

Mixed news for me: An analyst reports that one million iPhones were unlocked last year and used on networks other than AT&T's. On the downside, this has led to lost revenues for Apple, and I own Apple stock, so this is bad. On the other hand, I hate AT&T and love Apple, so I hate that in order to use the iPhone you have to use AT&T service (I refuse to give AT&T one unnecessary dime of my money, so that means I can't use an iPhone, which pisses me off - I don't like Big Corporate telling me who to get my service from and denying me use of a product I want), so a part of me is gleeful for all the folks who have found a way around the enforced use of the AT&T colossus. Go, you rebels!

And lastly is the weird: A beetle has been named for Roy Orbison. Seriously.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I just can't even read the Britney stuff anymore. It is too much.

As for the heart attacks, it is probably directly related to the gambling these dudes pull out for the Super Bowl. I'd have a heart attack, too, if my pension rested on Eli Manning's hands, so to speak.