Friday, January 25, 2008

I'm hideous - look away!

I'm gonna be real for a minute. Okay, I'm always pretty real, but today I'm gonna be real in that, "Oh, wow, she's talking about that in public, but now that you mention it, I get that, too, so what's she saying?" way.

See, a few days ago, I felt this tender spot between my eyes - just to the side of my left eyebrow. I recognized the feeling. It was one of those deep, under-the-skin zits forming - the kind that feel giant and totally hurt and may or may not come to the surface enough for you to actually do anything about them. Instead of just a little white pimple on the surface, it's this little bomb that grows farther down, swelling out and creating a welt - a painful, tender welt.

You want to leave it alone. You know that messing with it won't help. But see, ONE time, somewhere along the line, you messed with one, and you DID accomplish something. You pushed and prodded and squeezed and actually managed to get the offending white stuff to push the surface - kapow! Immediately there was relief, and the blemish was gone like a day or two later. So now, even when you just keep making it worse, some part of your psyche says to press on (See what I did there? "Press" on? That was kind of accidental, but it's still a pun.). So you just keep harrassing it, creating a bigger and bigger problem, possibly scarring yourself and extending the time it's going to take for the blemish to heal.

Well, I tried to stop myself from making this zit worse, namely because it's in a spot on my face that can't be hidden by hair or something. It's RIGHT THERE between my eyes, by my eyebrow. Even if it were cold enough for a ski mask, I'm pretty sure you'd still be able to see it. And my co-workers would freak if I came to work in a ski mask. So, that's off the table.

So, yesterday on my lunch hour, I went to CVS and got some Clearasil (because that stuff really does work) and some antibacterial wipes. I had to wipe my makeup off so I could put the Clearasil on, and I read that most zits are caused by bacteria, so let's try and kill the bacteria, right? It seemed to help somewhat. But I gotta tell ya, even with a little bit of cosmetic improvement, I could still feel painful tenderness radiating down from this freakin Vesuvius into my nose and eye socket. Seriously!

So last night, I washed carefully, applied more Clearasil, and crossed my fingers. This morning I woke up, went to the mirror, focusing my sight with laser-like precision on the zit. Hmmm. Might be a little improvement - I'm not really sure. It's not any worse, so that's good. Touch around the permimeter. Still tender. Hmmm. I had hoped for more. sigh. (Pull gaze back a little bit to take in rest of face.) Oh my god. What the hell is wrong with my eye?

I have no idea what is going on, but the skin of my left eyelid has swollen up and sort of flopped over - not swollen like a balloon, but more like someone who was really fat and then lost weight and there's extra skin now. It's the inside corner, near where all the tenderness is. Fan-fucking-tastic. So now, not only do I have the zit still marring the landscape. Now my left eye looks like I'm mongoloid or something. What. The. Hell?

The only time I've ever had this kind of swelling in my eyelids was when I was having an allergic reaction to something. I don't know if I'm reacting to the Clearasil or to something in the air, and it's just coincidence that it's happening just as I'm fighting Mount Fuji on my face, or what, but *something* is going on, and Mama ain't happy.

So, I didn't put any Clearasil or anything else on the affected area this morning - just washed my face and left it be. I didn't even use any foundation when I put on my makeup this morning or use any concealer on the zit. I'm just leaving it the hell alone. I did put on eye makeup - I had to at least try and camouflage the eye swelling. The makeup helped, and I know my eye isn't allergic to any of that stuff since I use it everyday, so I'm not worried about that. But it is still swollen and freaky.

If anyone knows of a voodoo chant or witch's spell I can use to clear all of this up, it would be much appreciated. Without some kind of divine intervention, I could be positively deformed by the end of the weekend.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm doing a Voodoo Chant for you as I type this! I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read this, not at you, but with you, I promise, it was funny writing...

I can relate to the zit pain, so I do hope the pressure resides and you can pretend it's not there.

I'm kind of excited to see your eye lid though...

Judy said...

Hmmm...maybe the antibacterial wipe? Did you use them last night, too, or just when you were doing the fast-break, go-for-the-kill move at work yesterday? I know antibacterial stuff on my face absolutely RUINS my whole face.

I haven't used Clearasil in ages - didn't even know they still made the stuff! Does it have an expiration date on it?

I think you should take a picture and post it, though - think of all the hits you could get on your site! HAHA

Suzanne said...

The antibacterial wipe was only for the fast-break move - before bed I just cleaned with my usual face cleanser and applied a hot washcloth before I put the Clearasil on. And the Clearasil was a fresh tube! You'd think if it were either of those, I would've seen a reaction long before I went to bed! Maybe I walked in my sleep, touched some pollen, then rubbed my eye and went back to bed...

Anonymous said...

Hey, something just like this is happening to me. Did you ever find something that worked? If so, how long did it take?

Suzanne said...

Sorry to say, Johnny, that it just kind of ran its own course. I'd say it took a couple of weeks to go away completely - the zit itself and all the things that seemed to follow (eye swelling, etc.). I think hot compresses and Clearasil are still the best way to go. They're non-invasive and designed to bring things to the surface and dry out the zit. My pressing on it is probably what caused the other symptoms - I probably distributed the stuff inside the zit, affecting my eye. I'm very sorry to hear that you're enjoying the experience now!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Yeah it was not fun. Thankfully, I'm on the downside of it now. Anti-bacterial cream (something I already had in my med cabinet) seemed to really knock it out. Not before I had to go to my nieces graduation and listen to alot of "Dude, what happened to your eye?" all day.

I had tried Stridex the night before I found your blog, and it had just made it worse. An allergic reaction I guess.

Still, it was a big relief to know someone had gone through exactly the same thing and could offer some helpful advice.

Thank you! :)