Monday, August 21, 2006

It's going to be a bumpy night.

What a great morning (at least the part where I was still at home)! This morning, AMC was playing "All About Eve" - one of my all-time favorite movies! Man, there isn't a bad spot in it. And how do you not love Bette Davis with her claws out?? I love the cast, the acting, the writing - I love it all. And I managed to catch the party scene before I had to leave the house. Awe.Some.

I had a good weekend, but would've liked an extra day. Friday we started at a restaurant down by the lake for dinner and drinks. We managed to get an inside table without having to wait which was a huge accomplishment for this particular place (and paramount to us surviving the evening, since it was over 100 at 5:00 on Friday), but things went somewhat awry when the food came. I admit, I had squelched some of my appetite with mango margaritas and queso before dinner came, but something happened with the delivery of our meals that ended my appetite all together. I feel guilty even saying anything, because the guy who killed it can't help it that he did, and I'd never want to sound like I'm making fun of a person's infirmity or suggesting the guy shouldn't be working when he's doing a good job, but I think you'll all have to hang in there with me on this one.

You see, the guy running our food, the guy handing us the platters with our dinner on them, well...he had...how do I put this? He had a hole in his head. I don't mean he was an idiot. At first, looking at him from the front, face-forward, I even thought, "He's cute." But he turned his head, and there a hole - an actual hole. Do you understand what I'm saying? Just below his ear, was a gaping, black hole, apparently leading into the recesses of his head. I'm not even sure how you walk around with a hole like that!! How do keep out bacteria and other things that would, I should think, kill you? Heads are supposed to be enclosed. For a moment, I was just stunned - wondering if I'd seen it right, then processing if his ear was missing (it was not), then trying to get my mind around how a person exists with such a thing, then it just...I don't know...shut down my stomach.

One of my other dinner companions also saw it, and she too, was taken aback. Luckily the other two women with us didn't see it, and they decided they didn't want to. Like I said earlier, I'd never complain about the guy to the management or anything - he was doing his job and everybody who is able to work should be allowed to work, and I'd never want him to be fired or anything, but I'm just not sure that this is the guy who should be running the food. Is there not some other job he can do? I don't mean to be callous, but it honest to God ruined my appetite. And I'm not normally turned off of food, even when other people are. I could eat lasagna while watching open heart surgery. I just have to think there's some way to allow him to work while allowing diners to enjoy the meals they're paying for. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and maybe if I knew him, I wouldn't even notice it after a while, but I don't know him, and it's all I could see everytime he'd pass by. And mango margaritas only give you so much nourishment.

Luckily, I was able to snarf down some mac-n-cheese at the bar where we spent the rest of our evening. We moved on to Opal Divine's to drink beer and play Jenga - for 4 hours! Hey, we had food, beer, a game and a jukebox. What else do you need to kill a Friday night? So, I didn't starve to death. I did, however, have to buy Laurie a beer after killing the Jenga tower one round. We tried to end the evening with a round of Clue, but we'd had too much beer and it was too late to concentrate by that point in the evening, so it just ended up being tedious! We're going to go back on another night armed with Uno cards, though. Uno only gets better with beer.

Tonight, any dinner issues are squarely on my shoulders! Ang and I are going to try again to watch the Treasure Hunters finale! Woohoo! Tonight we're meeting at my house, and I'll be in charge of dinner. I'll try to have dinner ready before the show starts so I don't miss a minute of it. Go Air Force!!!

2 comments:

Judy said...

I knew I was going to miss the finale - with school starting tomorrow, Travis is a basket case. let me know how it went!

Anonymous said...

I'm so damn glad I read your blog AFTER dinner tonight! You just brought back a reminder of the hole-in-the-head guy. Ugh, I can't help it.. turns my stomach.

Lovely dinner tonight, Suz. Crappy, crappy Treasure Hunters finale.