Monday, February 13, 2006

You couldn't have planned it.

I went to an interesting party yesterday. It was sort-of Valentine's themed, but not really (thank God - those of us with no sweetie mostly just want to hit all the happy people celebrating their special love on Feb. 14 every year). It was actually a chocolate party, with a dash of romance.

One of my friends co-hosted the party which consisted of them providing all kinds of chocolate goodies to eat, and all we attendees had to do was bring a clip of our favorite movie love scene, and we could stuff ourselves to the point of hyper euphoria with chocolate.

I'm happy to report that the people who came to this party had great senses of humor and many of the love scene clips were wry. Someone brought a scene from "Dr. Strangelove," someone else picked one from "Raising Arizona," and we even had a "Spongebob" clip. I was entertained. :) One guy, of course, had to bring a clip from a lesbian movie, and the clip wasn't about love but sex, and he had to let us know how following the scene he showed us was "the hottest sex scene I've ever seen." Gee. You're so...sophisticated. Here's a "Hustler" and there's the bathroom. Leave my presence.

Anyway, the highlight of the party was the chocolate fountain. Not the fountain itself, but .... well, here's the story. They had a chocolate fountain filled with Ghiradelli chocolate that you could dip all kinds of things into - cookies, fruit, pretzels. The center of the fountain, an auger, spins, pushing the chocolate up a center tube, and the chocolate drips down from the top, and it's, you know, a fountain. I dipped a few things. It was good. I'm a Hershey gal myself, but I won't thumb my nose at free, warm chocolate.

About an hour into the party, one of the attendees decided to spear a raspberry with a toothpick and dip it in the chocolate pooled at the bottom of the fountain. This would've been fine, except that she got a little over-exuberant. She stabbed her toothpick too far in, wedging it under the auger, causing the auger to raise up and spin out of its natural orbit. It started slinging chocolate around the room in a circle! I'm not joking. It was like something out of a movie. For a few seconds, we all sort of watched it in wonder, jumping back out of the way of the slinging chocolate, while the woman who jammed it tried to reach for the auger - like she could grab it or something, I don't know. Finally, someone yells to unplug the thing, and my friend grabs the plug from the wall and it stops. What we ended up with was everything on the table had this lacing of chocolate as if some gourmet chef had done it intentionally. Even more amazing was that no one got it on their clothes, except the woman who caused jammed it in the first place, and she only had a little on her sleeve. It was amazing! If you'd planned it, it wouldn't have happened that cleanly or with better results on the food that got sloshed.

I wish I had a DVR in my brain that recorded everything I saw and heard and I could simply download it onto a disk and show people later. My actual memory barely retrieves things for my own review later, much less allowing me to show it to other people. I think when the government finally implants us with chips, I'll request they put a downloadable DVR component to my chip.

2 comments:

Judy said...

The chocolate fountain thingy - now THAT'S funny. I doubt I'll ever own anything like that because it will end up with marbles and Hot Wheels jamming the auger.

What clip did you bring?

Suzanne said...

I brought the scene from "Bridget Jones' Diary" when she has to suffer through the dinner party and then as she's leaving, Mark Darcy tells her he likes her...just as she is (sniff!). I won a box of chocolate-covered fortune cookies because mine was one of the favorite clips, but the chocolate is dark chocolate, and I like milk chocolate. Figures.