Friday, January 30, 2009

Shouldn't people leave?

Did you know that an Alaskan volcano near Anchorage is on the verge of erupting - not "on the verge" in the geological sense, like sometime in the next 1,000 years, but as in "any day now"?

And the Alaskans (Anchoragians? Anchoragilites? Anchoraginates?) aren't even clearing out - they're just hitting the hardware stores for dust masks and goggles, like they're about to start a carpentry project! Man, those people are tough. I'll bet Sarah Palin is personally hiking up the side of Mount Redoubt right now to go take a look. "Gotta check it out, you know."

This will be an interesting story to follow over the coming days. I remember Mount St. Helens erupting when I was a kid. It made quite an impression on me, since I didn't even realize at that age that we had "real" volcanoes here in the U.S. - ones that erupted and everything. I might've known Hawaii had them, but theirs aren't really the "duck and cover" kind of eruptions that disaster movies are made of.

It's possible that I'm responsible for this eruption since I recently listened to the book on tape of the novel "Pompeii." I even passed it on to J, further adding to the volcano ju-ju in the air. So, if this is our fault, I apologize. We were just trying to be literary. It still counts as literary is you listen on CD instead of reading it yourself, right?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Nope, not literary. Ya gotta actually read it. It says so in the definition of literary. JK

Suzanne said...

According to Webster's, literary is an adjective meaning "of or having to do with literature or books."

A book on tape is an oral reading of a book, and thus "of or having to do with literature or books" and...thus...LITERARY! Ha. I knew it.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely it counts. If I didn't have my iPod and my Audible account, I'd never "read" anything. Audiobooks are great listening for sliding stress-free through traffic, keeping your brain engaged during excruciatingly tedious work computer production time, and making housework more fun. Also comes in a good second on the list of activities for after dark when camping and zipped up in your sleeping bag. No lights necessary. You can stay warm and cozy. (Number one on that list should be, ahem, obvious. That one keeps you warm too.) And it's often more fun to hear an author or really good performer read a book to you.