Friday, September 29, 2006

I'm so glad we had this time together.

Been a little busy the last couple of days - what with having to replace my entire front lawn...or not. Anyway, Carol Burnett was great! The format of the show really was her taking questions from the audience and periodically showing clips from her show. It was great fun!



I think I've seen every episode of the Carol Burnett Show, so the clips were really funny. And she had some great stories to tell. Most of the questions from the audience were good but there were a few weird ones. It kind of had the feel of live TV - like anything could happen and there wasn't a censor ready to silence any odd ducks!

Carol Burnett seems to be a profoundly gracious person. I don't know that much about her - only bits and pieces. I think I'll read her biography. After being in her presence, she's someone I'd like to know better, even if it's just from a distance. I really like biographies, especially autobiographies. I like to read people's stories - how did they get where they are? What wisdom have the gained? How do they look at life? There's only been one I can think of offhand that I just abandoned. It was an autobiography by Sam Giancana's daughter. I usually am fascinated by anything mob-related, but this woman was about the whiniest human being I've ever heard. Talk about immersing yourself in victimhood. I'm sure it wasn't easy being a mobster's daughter. I'm sure he wasn't much of a dad and she had challenges the rest of us wouldn't have to deal with. But get off the cross! I read about a third of the way in, trying to get past her whining tone, but finally I had to just say, "You know what? I don't care. At some point, your life was your own to make something of, and you'd rather whine about 'poor me.' I got better things to do."

Katharine Hepburn, though - there was an interesting story. No victimhood there.

1 comment:

Judy said...

What a great show I'm sure that was! Wow!

Did you watch last night? I cried - I was not ready to see Dad and Daughter go!!!!