Monday, September 18, 2006

The Amazing Distracted Woman!

Well, last night Season 10 of The Amazing Race started, and I missed the first 40 minutes! I'm an idiot. I started watching a movie at 6, and it went until 8, and I forgot to set my satellite dish to automatically change the channel at the right time for TAR. Then it took me 10 minutes to remember what I was supposed to be watching! So, by the time I tuned in, the first team was already being ousted. I can't believe I did that.

I'll tackle the game and the teams, though, from the halfway point. I never had a chance to develop any sense of the guys who got ousted first, so no opinion there, but it's definitely new this season to eliminate a team before the pitstop. That ought to have everyone stepping up their game since you'll never know when the axe is going to fall.

Other teams:

David and Mary. I like this couple. And I find it offensive that they refer to them as "coalminer and wife" as opposed to just "married" like Vipul and Arti. What - a coalminer is such a freak they have to point that out? That chaps me.

Duke and Lauren. I like them well enough so far. Can't tell too much, but it was sweet that she cried out of pride for her dad when he scaled the Great Wall. I think they'll go far.

Dustin and Kandice. Beauty queens. I just can't bring myself to comment in any way that doesn't make me sound like some kind of jealous middle-aged hag, so I'll say nothing. Except this: Who names a girl Dustin?

Erwin and Godwin. I like these guys so far. And Godwin (that's the one with the short hair, right?) - if you need to take your shirt off at any point, you just go on. These guys will be in for a while.

Kellie and Jamie. The cheerleaders. Kill them now.

Lyn and Karlyn. Seem nice enough, but I don't think they'll last too long. The physical stuff is going to knock them out.

Peter and Sarah. Sarah's prosthetic leg should add an element of challenge to their race, though they're obviously a strong team. She reminded me a little of the dwarf (I apologize - I can't remember her name) that was on one of the previous seasons, though. It looked like Sarah used the leg to her advantage for sympathy at one point (to get a cab I think?), just like the dwarf did with her size, but that MAY have just been because the leg was leaking hydraulic fluid and she needed to conserve on wear and tear. Oh, and while Peter was very supportive of Sarah, which was great, he kind of sounded gay. I can't be the only one to have thought that, can I? I'd be leery of those "unresolved romantic feelings," Sarah. I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin.

Rob and Kimberly. No opinion yet.

Tom and Terry. Nathan Lane wishes he was as gay as these guys. That's about all I can tell so far! So very, flaming gay. I may end up liking them when I can tell more about them - don't know yet.

Tyler and James. Models. Seemed like they wished they could be as open about their love as Tom and Terry. Why do half the guys in these season seem gay?

Vipul and Arti. I liked these two. Bummer they're already out.

The game:

I came in right at some kind of eating challenge. I don't want to know what it was. Vipul almost puked, and that was all I needed to see. As I always say, I'm never the one you want for the eating challenges.

Detour: Labor or Leisure. I think I might've gone with Labor on this one, like just about all the rest of the teams. I'm pretty visual, so I think I would've done well with the pattern, and I'm a lot stronger than you might think. I think I could've knocked out that floor. The tai chi ball dance thing might've taken me too long to get right. Oh, and of course, I would've had to keep stopping to slap the cheerleaders when they got too peppy. As Kevin James says, "Shutty."

Pitstop. Sarah gets major props for getting up that wall. Lyn and Karlyn - those kind of physical challenges will be your doom. And when the models were at the mat with Phil, did anyone else think it looked like Old Phil and the two Younger Phils? Did some stylist come and do all their hair the same?

I'm very happy the race has begun, and I promise to actually watch the entire show next time!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Okay, here are my takes:
David and Mary - no...I got really pissed off when she kept telling him to SHUT UP and SHUT THE **** UP. Geez. Take a chill pill.

Duke and Lauren - like em so far

Dustin and Kandice - uh, like, NO. I'll be the bitter jealous middle-aged hag, okay? Like, they totally need to go spray their hair or something.

Erwin and Godwin - yep, will be rooting them on

Kellie and Jamie - uh, again, NOKIE DOKIE

Lyn and Karlyn - not seeing much promise from them.

Peter and Sarah - okay...I still need to feel them out. Scott thought he had a prosthetic leg, too...have no idea where he got that idea

Rob and Kim - No - I think he's going to be a control freak

Tom and Terry - hahaha- yeah, I'm cheering for them! LOL

Tyler and James - unfortunately, they'll do well probably, but I hope they don't win the season.

Sad to see Vipul and Arti go - tons more I would have rather see go!

Anonymous said...

So of course, yes, I missed about the first 45-50 mins of TAR because it took us over 6.5 hours to get back from Wichita Falls on Sunday because of the stupid rainstorms all the way down!

Okay, my favs so far are Duke and Lauren (kinda remind me of me & my dad), Tyler & James (they're just nice to look at, but yes you may be on to something there with the gay thing), and Peter & Sarah (she's inspiring and he's supportive). Liked Vipul & Arti, too. Need to know more about Erwin & Godwin. I think Tom & Terry are going to be comic relief.

I DON'T LIKE:
David & Mary - they just remind me of my old backwoods relatives, you know... the ones you're embarassed about?
Rob & Kimberly - These two are just going to get on my nerves with their standard "couple-bickering" all the time.
And the Beauty Queens and the Cheerleaders are a given here - hate them, they can all leave any time and I'd be fine with that.

I would have definitely chosen the labor detour as well. I think I could have done the leisure routine well enough, but setting the bricks just would have been faster for me cuz I'm pretty decent at that stuff.