Friday, September 08, 2006

The foosball is the debbil.

Feeling a little better today. Still got gook, but my head isn't hurting as bad. It's also Friday. And I'm happy with my hair today. And most importantly, tomorrow is THE GAME!!!! All in all, a better day than Wednesday.

I get to hang with my homegirls tonight. A bunch of us women folk are going to go to Laurie's tonight to gorge ourselves on pasta, wine and incessant conversation until the wee hours. Should be good! I'm bringing brownies to ensure that there is chocolate representation. Laurie's husband, Tony, is on a cross-country motorcyle trip, so he's being spared the henfest. Laurie loves him, so she waited until he was away to have us all over - no sense in straining her marriage when it's so new and all! ;) Tony, you know you love us.

Tomorrow, it's all about football. That's all there is, and that's enough for anyone. Sheila and I are hammering out last-minute details of our plan for tomorrow. You've got to have a plan. This isn't an ordinary Saturday at DKR.



People have been staking out tailgating spots since Wednesday. I kid you not. I work downtown, just a few blocks from the stadium, and people have been setting up lawn chairs on the sidewalks near my office building and manning them 24 hours a day to claim their spots since Wednesday. This, folks, is full-on. And I love it!!!! Do you see what I mean when I say this is the most glorious time of year???

Incidentally, I should say that while I love UT beyond reason, my favorite football clip is not a UT clip. It's a tackle by Dwayne Slay of Texas Tech during a 2005 game against Kansas State. It's got to be the best friggin' football clip ever. Here's the link to the video of it on YouTube, and if you don't feel yourself going "BOO-YAH!!" when you see it, you are not a football fan. Give up your remote to your wife and start watching soccer or golf or something.

Back to this weekend, though. I, unfortunately, do not have a tailgating clan. I've always wanted one, but never been able to meet one or develop one. I hope to before I die. In the meantime, I satisfy my need for Longhorn comradeship on game day by hitting Scholz's (with the other tens of thousands of people who don't have tailgating clans) or the Alumni Center. Luckily, I'm a Texas Exes Life Member, so I can get into the Alumni Center with a wave of my keyring. This gives me access to beer, food, air conditioning, bathrooms, big screens and sometimes a chair. All in burnt orange. It's a happy place. Tomorrow, we'll start with Scholz's and see how that goes. If the mayhem is too much (meaning we can't move, get to the bathrooms or get served), the Alumni Center it is.

BTW, congratulations to UT's volleyball team! Last night, the #7 Longhorns knocked off #4 Santa Clara in 3 straight games. Awesome ladies! They looked fantastic. I'm sad that Brandy Magee will be out for the season with a torn ACL. She's a senior, and I know it has to be killing her to be on the bench. But I'm glad to see that the team is still strong without her. I'll miss seeing you play, Brandy. Today they'll be playing #2 Penn State. Good luck, and I wish I'd be there to see it! And huge good luck to our football Longhorns tomorrow!! We love you guys and are behind you all the way! HOOK 'EM!!!

4 comments:

Judy said...

BOO YAH!!!!!

Girl, pile on the benadryl, you know molds are up...I'll be rooting for The Team from my living room...I think we're inviting the Aggie neighbors over for some queso and macaroni and cheese to go along with the game (on game day, all things Orange!).

Anonymous said...

Wow - I've never seen that Tx Tech clip before. That was outstanding!

Have a GREAT time at The Game. Can't wait to read the blog about it.

GIVE EM HELL, GIVE EM HELL, GO HORNS GO!

Judy said...

Oh Suz...we're in mourning here...hope that spirits were good at the game regardless.

They are STILL No. 1 to us, right?

Anonymous said...

Z,

The henfest Friday night was a lot of fun! Thanks for coming over and bringing delicious brownies. I am blessed with awesome "frens."

My condolences on the game. I saw the last quarter and knew many folks who would be disappointed. You and my brother were on the top of that list. Next game - revenge!

L