Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Discuss.

Today is a Thought Collage day! Woo and hoo. Okay, let's discuss.

1. What is with Justin Timberlake? He's trying to be Mr. Sexy Man with his music, and he's dissin' on American Idol winner Taylor Hicks, and he's just generally kind of being a putz. Let me give you a clue JT. If you're really that sexy, you don't have to tell us. We can see it for ourselves. And if you're really that talented, you don't have to crap on other singers. Just do your thing and we'll hear the difference. What exactly is it that attracts Cameron Diaz? The white man fro? The 20-something attitude? Cameron, baby, aren't there any grown-up men who could sizzle yo foshizzle?

2. Happy days ahead! Happy days ahead! The Amazing Race, Season 10, starts this Sunday!!! Set your Tivos and VCRs if you're going to be out. The show starts at 7:30 CST, and you'll want to watch the first show to decide what teams you want to root for and who you can hate right off the bat. As the game goes on, sometimes you find yourself souring on some teams while others win you over, but I find that having opinions from the start really adds to your enjoyment of the game. Can any of us forget the joy of hating Johnathan (of Johnathan and Victoria) from Season 6? Judy and Angela, I expect to share this viewing experience with you both.

3. Apparently, people in Australia are taking revenge on stingrays because one killed Steve Irwin. At least 10 have been killed and mutilated since Irwin died. WTF? That's seriously disturbed. Irwin's death was a freak accident. The stingray that killed him was a wild animal, and it got scared, and it acted on instinct. In the vast majority of incidents, the sting wouldn't have even killed him. It just happened to catch him in the one spot that could actually kill him. What do these psychos in Australia think - that the thing watched his show, hated him for some reason, found out his shooting schedule, traveled to where he was filming, lay in wait while Irwin shot his show, then picked just the right moment to attack - then slunk off laughing as Irwin passed away? Stingrays are not malicious and they're not even aggressive. They lash their tails when stepped on or frightened. Do you SERIOUSLY think killing and mutilating innocent animals is what Irwin would have wanted? The man spent his life extolling respect for wildlife and conservation, and you a-holes show your grief over his death by murdering animals? Sick.

4. A little relationship advice. If ever you are involved with someone, and for some reason, you determine that you don't want to be involved with that person anymore, or you want to back off considerably, do the other person the simple respect of TELLING them. Explain what is going on. I know it may be uncomfortable, but it's far less uncomfortable than what the other person will go through if you just simply disappear. The other person will be plagued with uncertainty. Why are they backing off? Did I do something? Are they bowing out permanently or do they just need some space temporarily to deal with something? Do I need to make the mental adjustment that this is over and get over the person? Or do I need to be patient during what is just a lull and allow the emotional fires to keep burning?

I know people are afraid of conflict - they're afraid that if they tell the other person honestly what's going on, the other person might make them uncomfortable by being angry or hurt. But I guarantee you, I promise you, the damage is so much less when you tell someone the facts and let them operate from a place of certainty and information than if you leave them floundering around, trying to figure out what's going on. That's what makes someone angry - that you didn't care enough about their feelings to do them the kindness of telling them the truth - that you'd rather they stumbled around in the dark, feeling uncertain and confused until they finally just figure it out on their own (or at least part of it - they may figure out that you're gone, but never know why), weeks after you could have cleared the whole thing up, than deal with a few moments of discomfort. Not only is it disrespectful to the person you're ditching, it costs you their respect. It's no fun to ditch someone, and it's no fun to be ditched, but acting like an adult and just saying, "I need to talk to you. I can't do this right now, and this is why," can change the whole complexion of things. Believe it or not, instead of a chewing out, you might just get, "Thank you for being straight-up with me. I appreciate it." I know I personally have said it.

5. Tamales are good for breakfast.

6. Has anyone else seen this classmates.com ad: usually accompanied by the words, "Where is she now?" or something along those lines, and you thought, "That's not a her. That's Kevin Spacey."? Just wondering if I'm the only one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in for TAR this season, so I'll plan for some sharing.

Okay, the sting-ray murders are seriously bothering me. I hadn't heard this yet. Aaaaargh.

Ditto on the relationship thing. People sometimes just don't understand that honesty and straightforwardness are MUCH less painful than mere silence.

Tamales ARE good for breakfast!

Judy said...

Whoo hoo! My in laws should have vacated the household by 7:30 - I will be at the TV, and poor Travis will just have to have Harry Potter read to him during commercial breaks! I can't for the life of me figure out my VCR!

Wow, did something happen to spurn the relationship talk, or are you just being contemplative?

Must scoot - Church job calling (we've been hit with a rash of burglaries at the church lately - must make a note to blog about it - puts a whole new light on church work and I ain't lovin' it).

Anonymous said...

I think you should share your sting ray blog to the news media down under. I am embarassed of those "humans" that are doing these inhumane things.

Is it just me, or is it mainly MEN that never can muster the cahones to just say they don't want to be in a relationship? I've dealt with it in the past and have friends dealing with it now. I guess we just have to make the decision that those who can't communicate aren't worth our time, heartache, and mental effort. Easier said than done, but a huge relief once it's done.