Friday, March 17, 2006

Doing my duty

While it probably seems improbable to anyone who knows me that I should be able to talk about anything other than March Madness right now, I actually have a number of other things going on in my life right now that are worthy of comment, so I'm just posting as I can and addressing subjects as I get to them. Don't worry - there will be basketball talk, as well, in the next two weeks!

Today, however, I think I'll share with you my jury duty experience from Monday. This is the first time I've ever been called for jury duty, which is amazing in and of itself, since I've been a registered voter since my freshman year of college. But there you have it - almost 20 years of being ignored by The Man. Unlike most people, I always kind of thought I'd like jury duty. I'm fascinated by the law (I used to think about being a lawyer), and I'm never loathe to take a day off for my normal routine. I like to read, so give me a book and a courtroom and if I'm not being engaged by the legal stuff going on, I can read. My job pays me for the days I'm serving, so I'm not losing any money, and I even get a little pocket change from the court. So, it's all good in my book.

I didn't really get to sleep in much that morning, but I got to wear jeans instead of office clothes, and I grabbed a Starbucks mocha and a paper (both luxuries from my normal routine) and I headed to the courthouse for my day of public service.



I won't give you a blow-by-blow since that might be tedious. And I don't think I should talk about the case, but I suppose I can say it was apparently about an armed robbery. The case is over by now and part of the public record. But I'll give you a random sampling of my thoughts and impressions through the day:

- There's too many people in this row! I'm totally being squished against the wall! Scoot over, man (to the guy next me).

- Who are those people who just came in and sat in the jury box? Are those law students?

- I gotta pee.

- Oh, for pete's sake, lady (to the loud lady in the back room who feels the need to comment on every legal point and hypothetical scenario the prosecutor lays out for us in the attempt to determine if we're smart enough to understand the law and if we'll find as the law says we should, even if we don't agree with it). Please tell me I won't get stuck serving on a jury with her.

- "I've been convicted before - once for theft." Thank you, sir. Here's a note saying you completed your service today.

- Am I comfortable sitting in judgement of someone else? You betcha.

- Seriously. I gotta pee!! Do we get a break? Should I raise my hand and ask if I can go? How does this work? That lady behind me looks like she's done this before. Should I ask her? Maybe you get in trouble for talking.

- Yes, the people in the jury box are students.

- Recess! Sweet relief! (Bugger! A line at the bathroom.)

- My word, has every person in here been the victim of a robbery (except that guy over there who commits them)? Our society is messed up, man.

- Is that a coffee stain on my jacket?

- "If you don't want your juror pay, just fill out this form." Right.

- What do you mean I wasn't picked? Why not?

Personally, I think they should have to tell you why you weren't picked. I was among the first 12 people in the pool, so that means I was struck, not simply that they got their 12 before they got to me. I think they ought to have to tell me why. I'm a citizen! I have a right to know! (No one ever worries about my outrage.)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Girl, the only times I have been summoned (and served) was when I was HUGELY pregnant, which I thought would be reason enough not to pick me - hormonal and all - but apparently that was a perk - did an attempted murder trial and a druggie trial as well...guilty in both cases. Fun, yes. Worth my time, not really. I would have rather have watched Wapner. At least he and Judge Judy's trials don't last past 30 minutes!