Friday, March 24, 2006

Are you kidding me?

What a March Madness tournament this year! I can't even believe the upsets and close games I've watched over the last two weeks, and last night was no exception. I actually did not get to park myself in front of the TV for all of last night's games (as I did for all the games last week). I had dinner at a friend's house during the first two games, and mystifyingly, they are not sports fans, so the games were not on, then I got home just before halftime for the two night games.

So, just to start with, I had no idea that Duke had already blown my bracket all to hell. What up with that Blue Devils? I had you winning the whole dance! Ingrates. I had to look in 3 places before I really believed LSU had taken them out. But back to Texas.

Because Texas had a commanding lead at the half, and I had to get up at the crack of dawn as usual for work this morning, meaning I couldn't stay up half the night watching basketball, I decided to just turn on the VCR last night and catch the last half or game and Zag/UCLA this morning. I mean, we had it in the bag, right?

Zowie! The second half was a freakin' barn-burner! I barely got to the end before I had to leave for work, and that was only because I fast-forwarded through all the time-outs. I had originally expected that game to be close, but then when we were up so high in the first half, I thought we had it! I watched the Mountaineers all year and knew West Virginia would be formidable (that Pittsnogle is somethin' else), but boy would I have preferred a nice blowout! I was jumping up and down and screaming with that last shot! Paulino, that's your moment. You get to hold on to that forever.

The upside is that even though my bracket is toast, I think Texas will have a better shot with LSU than we would've had with Duke. I think there's a psychological aspect that will work in our favor. LSU is like our neighbor. We know them. They're very good, obviously, or they wouldn't be in the Elite Eight and wouldn't have taken down Duke, but I think we can win that puppy! I think this turn of events with Duke will be good for us. Even if it stops next round, though, I'm so proud of my Horns. You guys are fantastic! Elite Eight, baby!!!

1 comment:

Judy said...

Okay, glad I didn't call you last night! LOL

It was an AMAZING game! And you have the last half on tape, you lucky thing you! Wow, can you believe how CLOSE Texas is to the final four????

WAHOO!!!!