Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I never see Paris Hilton at Speakeasy.

Twas a nice three-day holiday. I understand quite a few people out there had to go to school and work - that's a bummer. It's no fun to be chained to The Man when everyone else is enjoying their freedom. It's kinda like summertime when I have to drive by the elementary school by my house every day and be reminded of all the kids and teachers who are off enjoying life while I'm trudging to my fluorescently lighted cube to endure office politics. It's not a coincidence I buy more lottery tickets in the summer!

So, I have now seen Princess Bride. I laughed. I recognized some of the actors. I marveled at Robin Wright's desire to spend the rest of her life with Sean Penn. It was worth seeing. I thought I would go home right after, so I was dressed casually in jeans, cotton shirt and Clark's. But my friends suggested we get a drink - it was only 8:30 on a Friday night. I agreed that what with us all being over 21 and childless, it was absurd not to enjoy the nightlife of this great city. So, we went over to Speakeasy to check out the renovations made to the rooftop patio. I've always liked Speakeasy, but now I'm in luv - the new rooftop decor is awesome! It's like an outdoor living room, with cushions and even a giant bed-like area in one corner. You can have a drink, lounge on the cushions, leaning against pillows, looking at the stars and the hubbub of the Warehouse District. There was also a DJ playing some good tunes. Luv it. Oh, and as my title says, you'll never run into Paris Hilton there, so what's not to love? And the joy didn't stop there.

One of my favorite bands, Dysfunkshun Junkshun just happened to be playing downstairs in the main part of the bar - woohoo!!! After a drink or two up on the rooftop, we headed downstairs and had a few more while dancing the night away. I wasn't exactly in clubbin' clothes, but I was with my friends, so I didn't care. I danced my booty off anyway and had a great time. Fun night. Good times.

Of course, I'm old, so a late night out is always followed by an afternoon of napping and an early night the next day. But I was treated to a fantastic basketball game in the afternoon on Saturday - Texas beat Villanova, and I was there to see the whole thing. It was really exciting! Our basketball team is really clicking right now. I think they're going to have a great rest of their season! Tonight we play Tech. Clint, I luv ya, and I normally root for your Techsters, but tonight you know I gotta root for you guys and Mr. Knight to go dowwwwwwn!!

Speaking of basketball, did anyone catch the Kansas/Missouri game last night? What a barnburner! And I never felt so sorry for anyone as I did for Christian Moody of Kansas. He could've won the game on the last play of regulation time with either of two freethrows. He missed them both, then Kansas lost in overtime. That kid is going to see those freethrows in his dreams. Poor guy. I wanted to just muss his mop of hair and give him a hug. Of course, when we play them, my mercy will be gone. My maternal instincts go out the window when Texas is playing.

No comments: