Thursday, July 12, 2007

Lady Bird is gone.

Lady Bird Johnson died yesterday. Lady was the right moniker for her. She was truly that.



In many ways, she reminded me of my maternal grandmother. They kind of looked alike. They were around the same age. And there was a forgiving, maternal quality about the two of them that made you love them with your complete heart. When you were loved by my grandmother, you knew it. And it was a gift from God. I miss her more than I can say. And with Lady Bird's passing, I feel her loss again, because Lady Bird was a living reminder of her.

Lady Bird led an extraordinary life. She was a bright woman that many people underestimated because her intellect came wrapped in a gentile, East Texas package. That's another mistake I've seen the wider world make too often. But that's okay - she knew who she was and so did LBJ. He didn't always do what he should - it's pretty well conceded he wasn't always faithful - but he did love her, and she him. And she bore whatever indignities he committed with a grace that just about no one carries anymore. Too bad for all of us.

She cared about the environment. She cared about people. She cared about this country. She cared about Texas. She cared about her family. She did good with her time on this Earth, and she showed us by example how we could all do a little better - in many aspects of our lives. She will be missed.

(He speaks the truth: http://www.statesman.com/ap/mediahub/media/slideshow/index.jsp?tId=26203

2 comments:

Judy said...

She will be exponentially missed. I was so sad to hear the news yesterday.

Going to Johnson City will just be a bit "different" now, you know?

Claude Henry Smoot said...

Sorry to hear of her passing as well.

Still, Lucy Baines Johnson freaks me out.