Sunday, March 18, 2007

Money can't buy you class.

Last night, I made a mistake. Not a huge one, but an expensive one. But I accepted that it was my mistake - no one else's, and I was prepared to pay for it.

You see, my friend's boyfriend lives in an expensive downtown condo. It's called the Brown Building, and it's an historic building. LBJ used to have an office there. It's not for the folks filling out a 1040-EZ every year. Well, the Brown Building apparently has two parking areas - one for residents and one for the public. My friend told me I could park in the public side and her boyfriend could give me a token to get out later so I wouldn't have to pay. It was a generous offer of a free and convenient parking spot on a really crowded night downtown. I took her and him up on it.

When I pulled into the garage, I was issued a ticket, like I was going to pay later (though I wouldn't have to). I pulled in and there were a few spots taken, but mostly it was open. This didn't seem strange to me since I figured most people are like me and didn't know anything about being able to park in there. The spots said "Reserved" and there was a sign to move your cars before 7 p.m., but again, this didn't seem odd b/c in the state lots I park in everyday for work, there are spots marked reserved, but they are only reserved during business hours, until maybe 5 or 6, so I thought that's how this was set up: reserved during the day, then open after 7 for people who paid to park in the garage. I was wrong.

At 12:30 a.m., when we got back to the garage, my car was gone. Towed. To some place in North Austin. Apparently, the reserved spots are reserved after 7 - or maybe it's all the time, because I can't imagine that you'd lease a spot you couldn't get into until 7 at night, but then why have the sign about people moving their cars before 7? Even now, I don't completely understand all the signage. But what's clear is that someone leases the space I was in, and when they came home and I was in the spot, they had me towed. Upsetting, but as I said - my bad. I misunderstood the signage - apparently there were unreserved spots further along in the garage - I just didn't know that. So, the person was within their rights to have me towed. My punishment for my mistake = $200 to the towing company and my friends having to drive all over town with me in the middle of the night to get my car back (thank you, girls, for being awesome friends! I'm truly blessed to have you guys in my life.).

This was unpleasant and unfortunate, but I was prepared to put it behind me...until I retrieved my car. Seems the piece of shit who had me towed decided that towing me wasn't enough punishment for my vile offense of accidentally parking in his/her space. He/she keyed my car all the way down both sides - driver and passenger doors and both back panels. THAT I didn't deserve. I don't care if this asshole has someone parked in his spot every night of his life. I don't care how frustrated or annoyed he was. He didn't have the right to vandalize my property. THAT was over the line.

So, to you, the sub-human who keyed my car, I have this to say. I can't prove you did it. But I know you did, and so do you. If you park in that garage every night, you obviously live in the area, if not in the building. That means you have money. Well, your money didn't buy you class. You may as well be living in a mobile home, because that's all you're worth, regardless of what your bank account says. You had the right to tow me - and I accept the $200 and the inconvenience. But the damage? You had no right to do that, and what you put out there is what you get back. So be ready. Because karma is a bitch, and you have just put out some really ugly energy, and it's going to come back to you in spades, you low-class piece of garbage.

It won't be me that comes after you. I'm dealing with too many other things in my life right now, and now, thanks to you, I have to get my car fixed on top of all the other things I'm trying to juggle. But make no mistake. You will get yours. Someone will do unto you what you have done unto others. I only wish I could be there to see your face when whatever it is you've earned comes to you. I wish you all that you deserve.

1 comment:

Judy said...

GADS...some people!

I had my car towed when I was at Southwestern - towed on my BIRTHDAY no less because I parked somewhere on 7th street that was a permit only place (at 11:30 p.m.??? COME ON!!!!). That was a disaster.

No one keyed my car, though, and if they had I would have never known because it was quite the wreck at that time!