Monday, November 13, 2006

Well, crap.

Something has told me all season that my Longhorns wouldn't be playing for the national championship again. I don't know what it was exactly - just a feeling. Maybe it was because I knew Vince was gone and we had a freshman taking the wheel, and it would take time for him to get his feet under him. But taking my eye off the crystal football meant I could quit worrying about that and just enjoy the fantastic development of Colt McCoy. I honestly never dreamed he'd get so good so fast. Who would have thought that until Saturday, we would be in the top 5 and our only loss would be to the #1 Ohio State Buckeyes? I mean, with a freshman at the helm, that's just incredible!

And that's why it was such a blow when we lost Colt on the first drive on Saturday, and such a disappointment when Jevan Snead couldn't get it going for us and we lost to unranked Kansas State. I blame myself - just about a week ago, I told my friend Clint that I worried we weren't getting Snead more playing time - that if something happened to Colt, he wouldn't be ready. And damned if something didn't happen to Colt, and Snead clearly wasn't ready. My fault - I'm sorry I said that without knocking on some wood. My bad.

Snead was some kind of high school QB phemon. He and Colt were neck-and-neck for the starter position in the pre-season. I think everyone hoped he'd be able to just step in on Saturday and take over. But he's just not where Colt is. Colt really is great, and he's grown so quickly this season. Jevan hasn't had the time running the offense that Colt has, so he hasn't been able to develop the same way, and Saturday that bit us in the ass. That. just. sucks.

Alot of people had come to think that we had a shot at playing for the national championship again. One-loss teams were dropping, and next weekend either Ohio State or Michigan is going down, so it looked good for us. But I just couldn't get on board with it. I figured we'd play in a BCS bowl if won out the rest of the season, but I just didn't think we'd be in the big game. And now, with 2 losses, that's a certainty.

We'll get a bowl game - it's just a question of whether a BCS bowl is still a possibility. But someone else will get the crystal football this year. My prediction is Ohio State. They're phenomenal, and quite frankly, I'm rooting for them to get it. They deserve it. For us, I think it's been a great season, and it's not over yet. I want a win on November 24 (I've got an extra ticket - anyone want to go with me???)! I'm so proud of Colt and the job he's done, and I'm so very, very pleased we'll have him for the next 3 years (or at least the next 2). Hook 'em! And on to the aggies!!

(I have a TAR recap, but will do it tomorrow - I had to address the football situation today!)

2 comments:

Judy said...

It was an amazing game, considering the circumstances. I do hold two categories of players more responsible than the rest, though...

1) Defensive line - uh, where WERE you????

2) Offensive line - if there was ever a time to protect the QB, that would be when the new guy comes in!

There's no reason KSU should have scored 45 points against us.

Then again, it is only a game. And I'm still going to yell and root for a REALLY GREAT TEAM in Austin!

Anonymous said...

Last Saturday's game was so disappointing for me. I couldn't believe what I was watching. And yes, you're right, Snead was no where CLOSE to ready. He hasn't had any time to be. That was our downfall. But seriously, our defense did not do it's job on Saturday either. Aren't we supposed to have the first or second-ranked defense in the country? What gives???

On to the Aggie game. I think we'll do well. And I certainly think that Snead's going to be getting some good practice time in this week for sure. Mack won't make that mistake again.

Z, I would SO take you up on that ticket if I wasn't going to be in California for Thanksgiving next week. You should talk to Travis about buying it. He may be seriously interested. He'll be in town (his family all lives out of state so he's usually here by himself over the holidays).