Monday, November 20, 2006

The end will be so anticlimactic now.

TAR - very disappointing outcome last night. So, before I get to my recap (I'm trying to avoid discussing it for as long as possible), I'll update you on the laptop situation.

I took Big Mac and G3 to the Apple Store on Friday so they could transfer my info and wipe G3's hard drive. They did, but with a bit of hesitation - like at first they didn't want to live up to what they said they'd do (namely, doing those two things free of charge), then they only did the data transfer, then when I asked them to wipe G3's hard drive (as they said they would), the arrogant little a-hole at the store (who I've been annoyed by in the past) tried to just get me to do it myself by simply reinstalling the operating system...that would NOT constitute wiping the hard drive, you big jerk.

They finally did all that they were supposed to, but I was a little concerned after Apple Store Jerk had tried to pull that about the install disks, so I tried to check to see if the wipe had actually been done. When I booted G3 up, it booted up to a registration page ("Welcome! Wilkommen! [other languages welcoming me] In just a few short steps, you can register your Mac...select what country you're in...). I couldn't actually get to a directory to make sure none of my documents were still there without registering the machine, which I didn't want to do. That's what the new owner should do when I sell it, and if I did it, I wouldn't know how to get back to that screen when I was done checking the hard drive. So, I'm going on faith that if you're starting at the registration screen, they've done what they were supposed to do. Just reinstalling the operating system shouldn't start you at that level - registering your machine. Right?

God, I hope so. All I need is some shmuck stealing my identity from my old computer. I think I'd sue freakin' Apple into the ground if that happened - if they didn't wipe the drive for real and my identity got stolen...assuming I could prove that's what happened. But that's negative thinking. Must be positive. Lalalalala! Everything's great! All is well! They wiped the drive! It's safe to sell! (That rhymed. I could chant it like a mantra...)

Okay, TAR recap. This will be quick.

First task: fly to Kiev. The Barbies made their idiot comment in the first segment. When discussing where Chernobyl was, one says she knows that it's "where the atomic bomb went off." No, you moron, that would be Japan. Chernobyl is where a nuclear reactor melted down. No bomb. Just stark, sudden terror about nuclear power worldwide. No buildings leveled and people burned into concrete. Just a bizarre ghost town of a place that's still too radioactive for anyone to live there - or be there for more than about 15 minutes (I'm not sure of the actual time frame that it's safe to be there...but it ain't long). But why don't you go there and see if you can find a clue. Search real hard. For a long time.

An interesting note from when everyone was in the airport, waiting to depart for Kiev. It was 9:17 pm and still daylight outside. Then the next morning at 5:45 am, it was already light again. Hoo-boy, it's weird when the daylight hours get all screwed up. When we went to Alaska this summer, sunrise was somewhere around 4:00 am. That'll throw you.

The outcome of this leg was pretty much determined in this first segment. The Kens (the models) and the Barbies had a different flight than the rest of the teams. Both flights were scheduled to arrive at the same time, but the flight with the other teams was delayed, giving the Kens and Barbies a time advantage in Russia that they kept for the entire segment.

Roadblock: drive Russian tanks.
I could've done this! That would've been fun.

Task: find apartment in Kiev.
The snitty remark by the Kens about the Chos and their booksmarts certainly sounded like someone who is jealous of someone else. You should be. You might win a reality show, but the Chos will win in life boys. Let's all check back in about 10 years and see where you all are.

The Chos really shot themselves in the foot during this leg of the race. They should've figured out long ago that Bama wasn't KY - they'll let you help them, but they're not going to do the same for you. And that's fine - you're down to 5 teams and it's time everyone played to win. But the Chos didn't get that, and they waited for Bama time and again. It's what killed them in the end. And let me say how irritating it was listening to Karlyn rip on the Chos and how often they stopped for directions or slowed down. I, too, got frustrated with that. But if it bothers you, pull up to them, tell them that you're getting antsy and you're going to break off and jet ahead, but good luck to you, and move on. Bitching about them in private and then just driving off? Well, isn't that just who you are?

Detour: Make the Music or Find the Music.
I guess I would've done Make the Music, though I would've sounded stupid. But you know it doesn't have to be good - you just have to slap some kind of lyrics down that mention all the countries you've been to and you'll get your clue. Not hard.

Drive to museum/Pit Stop.
Kens win. Barbies second. It only gets worse from there. Rob and Kim get third with Bama pulling up 4th. Chos are out, which means I officially don't care who wins anymore. I don't like any of the teams that are left. That's the first time with TAR that I've gotten to this point. I've always had at least one team in the final that I could root for. But not this time. (sigh)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Yeah, TAR kind of lost its appeal the other night, but I agree with you. The Chos made some critical mistakes by not going for the "every man for himself" thing anymore. It is too late in the game to be relying on alliances, especially with the ones that are left.

Will probably watch again, but only out of habit. May have to clean the kitchen (gasp!) or wash clothes (double gasp!) while it is on this time.