Tuesday, February 17, 2009

We're gettin pelted with meteors!

You see the most interesting things in the Texas sky. Clouds that look like John Wayne (or Lassie depending on your perspective). Black helicopters and fighter jets from one of our many military bases. The space station gliding across the night sky like a super bright star with someplace to go. Ducks. But yesterday, truly one of the most interesting things you could possibly see appeared in our sky: a meteor.

It was seen all the way from Dallas to Austin. The link above has video of the meteor streaking across the sky, which is why I used it. It's not necessarily the best "news" account of the event. But hey - we all like video of a thing like that, right? Anyway, Austin had a marathon going on that morning (of course - if it's a Sunday in Austin, there's a run of some kind going on), and one of the news photographers...oh, wait, I think I'm supposed to call them photojournalists...one of the photojournalists caught it on film. Very cool.

I think several things must be addressed with a sighting like this, however.

1. Someone needs to let Shirley MacLaine know that this was not an alien landing, and there is no government coverup. She's welcome to come take a look around if she'd like, but honestly, Shirley, isn't a meteor cool enough?

2. It's not George Bush's fault.

3. It has nothing to do with global warming (which in no way indicates that I don't believe in global warming - I do - I just don't believe every single natural event that occurs now is a direct result of it).

4. It's not a warning from God (which in no way indicates that I don't believe in God - I do - I just don't believe he goes around hurling meteors at us to keep us in line).

5. I think this is just one more reason not to jog. That thing takes a slightly different course? All of the people in that footage - dead.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I saw this on the news and it was showing the race but it looked like all the people were running away from the meteor. Very funny.

Judy said...

Look at the positives - it gave you something to blog about! *wink*

Johnny Austin said...

Don't Jog People! It's way to risky! That's why I don't do it... And it's never George Bush's, I don't care what all the liberals are saying... Get a new scape goat yall, we're outta office...