Tuesday, June 20, 2006

It's raining. It's not pouring.

Yes, that's right, it's finally raining here in Austin. It's rained several times now in the last three days, and it's wunderful. You see, we got a little thing called a drought going on - water restrictions had begun and I heard warnings about aquifers getting too low and what-not. So, we're very happy to have this rain.

Folks in Houston - not so happy about the rain there. They're getting it in buckets, and the whole city is only about 28 feet above sea level (if I remember correctly - I only grew up there). My family down there says their house is doing fine, but they can't get some places because of flooded streets. Hey man, I won't argue a day off from work if I can't there as long as my house is dry and I have power. You don't want to know Houston in June without air conditioning.

In any case, it's much more reasonable here. We get some rain, it soaks in, then we get a little more, it soaks in, and so on. That should be very good for the aquifers and flora around here. Things were getting desperate in my yard. Who am I kidding - what yard? I had burned Bermuda grass. Hay. Hay is what I had. That's not at all what you want when July 4th gets here because the idiots in my neighborhood insist on lighting fireworks IN the neighborhood (yes, there's a law against it, but for some reason the cops don't feel obligated to do anything about it - I should sue them if my house burns down), so that flaming incindiaries are flying around onto your roof and dry lawn (known in some places as "kindling") for days before and after the holiday. Even if you tried to sit up all night with a hose and watch for the little missiles flying onto your property, you couldn't do it. It goes on for like a week. And then I find the carcasses of the fireworks in my lawn for months afterward. I don't even know how they make it into some of the places I find them.

So, rain, in reasonable quantities: a good thing. Idiots in your neighborhood in any quantity: a bad thing.

1 comment:

Judy said...

YAY for rain! Hasn't it been divine? There was a time in my life where I could have given a rat's heinie (sorry - I'm on a rat thing since we have obviously adopted a family of them under our shed) about rain, and now it is the highlight of my day/week/month/season!

Do you remember when we were little a time it rained so much and the streets in our neighborhood were so flooded? I can remember some jokers out CANOEING in the street. We walked around in that water like the rest of the idiots with goodness only knows what in the water (snakes, disease, boogy monsters, FROGS -ew). It used to get quite murky when it would flood on our street!