Thursday, June 15, 2006

The deserve a drink named after them - the Spaztini.

Zowie, McFunTime did I have a great evening last night! My friend Angela had a birthday last night (you can finally buy beer legally Ang - hurrah!), and we had a rare Wednesday night outing. Oh sure, dinner or happy hour might not be unheard of on a Wednesday, but I'm talking about a night out. And it was a blast!

We started at 219 West, a hip little joint in the Warehouse District that I like. A sharp jazz combo, the Kris Kimura Quintet, was playing, and we pigged out on drinks and 1/2 price appetizers. It's never a bad evening when it starts with "Mack The Knife."

But things really kicked up when we headed across the street to Cedar Street, another of my favorite venues. Cedar Street features indoor, air-conditioned bars flanking an open courtyard area with a stage. In the courtyard, it was hot, even at night, and the place was packed (who knew Wednesdays were a big night?), so sweating was a given. Five seconds into that portion of the evening, and I knew I'd need a shower before I went to bed. But I grabbed me a Bellini-tini and pushed any concerns about it out of my mind. If I was sweating, so was everyone else.

I wasn't going to go to this portion of the evening. It's a Wednesday, and we didn't head to Cedar Street until 9:00, when I'm usually winding down, but I was having a good time and enjoying my friends, so I figured what the heck. I can go to bed early tonight. I'm SO glad I went! We saw the most FUN band!!! They're The Spazmatics, an 80s cover band with a twist. The twist is they're dressed as complete nerds, and they play the whole show like that - dancing like nerds, talking to the crowd in nerd voices, and yet they are fantastic with their music! I swear, it's like actually being at a Devo, Go-Go's, or WHAM! concert - they're incredible! We danced non-stop. They go on my list of favorite Austin bands with:

Mingo Fishtrap
Vallejo
Dysfunkshun Junkshun

Suprisingly, I woke on my own at my normal time to get up for work. I don't know how that happened considering the truncated sleep I'm on, but I'll ride the wave until it hits me sometime this afternoon. As I said earlier, I'll be hitting the hay early tonight. But it was so worth it! Thanks for having a birthday, Ang - it was so much fun!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With all the drama of my b-day week, I totally failed to read your blog, so I'm just responding now. Thanks to you and all my wonderful friends for such an amazing night. I'm so glad you had fun and I was thrilled to get to share it with you! Cheers!