Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I can get a tuna on wheat at Thundercloud for $3.19

I like food. I really do. I enjoy cooking it. I enjoy eating it. Eating is a pleasure to me - something I look forward to. Some people eat to live; I live to eat; blah, blah, blah. To me, eating is like a massage - a sensory indulgence. And I like good food. I've developed a palate over the years, and I can appreciate the finer things (though the allure of cavier and brie still eludes me). But having said that, anyone who pays $148 for this sandwich is insane:



In case you haven't read the story, a chef named Scott McDonald (oh, the irony) created this little culinary wonder with Wagyu beef (I'm a Texas girl - we know beef - and I don't know what the frig that is), fresh lobe foie gras, black truffle mayonnaise (mushroom mayo? Why?), brie de meaux (see, that's a problem RIGHT there), rocket (that's what my old roommate and I used to call her dog's unit - I don't want that on my sandwich), red pepper and mustard confit, and English plum tomatoes on "24-hour fermented sourdough bread." The charge: 85 pounds (122.53 Euros, $148.33 US). It's on display at Selfridges Department Store in London. On display. At a department store.

It's a sandwich, people. I can get one mighty fine tuna salad on wheat WITH cheese at Thundercloud for $3.19. I can even add pickles for an extra 25 cents. And Thundersauce is free. You can't beat that. Shoot, you can pump it up to a large for $4.19. Add a Coke and chips, maybe even toss in a brownie, and you're still under $10. What would possess anyone to spend $148 on a sandwich? It's just not possible that it's tasty enough to justify the cost. It's not possible. Crazy Brits.

2 comments:

Mike Overall said...

I saw an article on this sandwich in the Arlington Star Telegream food section yesterday. Now I ain't payin' $148 for a sandwich when there's toys at Target I can get instead...but I was starving when I read about it...and it DID look good. Hypothetically, if I won the lottery I would probably spring for one.

Judy said...

For the love of all yeasty things...WHY???? The cost of that sandwich could feed a starving child in Nigeria for a year!