Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Guess she didn't want a million dollars.

I don't count that title as a spoiler since I don't say who "she" is AND it's Wednesday. Surely you've seen the episode by now! Okay, here was this week's episode:

1. Row to a yacht
J would've kicked ace on rowing a boat. And I hope we would've been smart enough to figure out the clue for the briefcase combination. I guess it depends on how sleep-deprived I was at the time. I felt bad for the Globetrotters that they were stumped on that. I like those guys.

I have to mention here that even at this point, J and I were marveling that Mika would even agree to do the race, considering she's afraid of heights AND water...and sex. But I guess the sex part is not actually relevant, so just forget I said that .

2. Detour: Gold or Glass
J and I thought the gold challenge sounded incredibly easy. Figure out the exchange rate. Measure the gold. If the rate changes by the time you measure, just add or remove whatever is needed to meet the new amount. Right? I really do not understand why so many teams had trouble with this. And I'm a math moron, people.

Glass certainly seemed doable, but more complicated than gold. J said there's no way he could've tolerated Meghan and the beauty queen's frustration - not the fact of it, but the way they just kept yammering instead of just shutting up for five seconds and *thinking* about how to fix the problem. Repeating, "I just don't know" in varying levels of anxiety does NOT get you closer to a solution.

3. Water slide
How awesome was it that the slide went under a shark tank? I'm actually not great with heights, so I get why Mika freaked out about the slide (for her, it would be a double-whammy of two fears), but seriously, man, for a million dollars, I could power through my fear. We've seen this in previous seasons - people with a crippling fear that almost or does cost them the race. I have to assume the producers look for at least a few contestants like that to ramp up the drama.

Canaan had choice words for Big Easy when he heckled Mika, but I have to admit, I laughed. I thought what Big Easy said was really funny, and even if I'm too nice to actually say that to someone who is scared, it's pretty smart strategy. And it's not cheating. It's not like anything Big Easy said really made the difference. She'd had plenty of time before they got there to slide down, and she was on the verge of hysterics, so seriously Canaan, put the blame where it belongs.

I didn't dislike Mika and Canaan, so I'm not psyched that they're out. But clearly she didn't want that million dollars, so it's just as well. A million dollars could've gotten Mika a lot of therapy for her phobias...just sayin'. ;)

No comments: