Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What, you don't carry it around, too?

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a phobia about b.o. I like to smell good (and by "like" I mean that if I don't, it's a point of great distress), and deodorant is a vital part of my grooming. It should be for you, too, by the way. Trust me - ain't no one wants to smell your natural self.

In service to this phobia, I not only keep deodorant at home, but I have a travel size deodorant nearby just about at all times - either in my car, or in my briefcase, or in my purse if I'm out for the evening in a situation where I might be dancing or outside. Here's a tip: I've discovered over the years that the car is only a good choice in winter. Deodorant melts like buttah in the blast furnace heat around here.

Since summer arrived here weeks ago, my little Travel D has been in my briefcase. I did take it with me in my purse on Friday when I went out for the evening, though, and I guess it got a little too warm. See, this morning I realized I had forgotten to put on deodorant at home (I was very tired this morning). No worries, though - I've got deodorant in my briefcase! I'll just put some on when I get to my office. Except b.o. for me is a *phobia* so I couldn't wait for that. I had to try and put it on in the car - not while I was actually driving, but at a stop light.

I rummaged around behind my seat, feeling in my briefcase until I located Travel D. It took several seconds to accomplish this, so I knew I only had a few moments before the light would turn green and I'd have to stop my deodorant triage. So, I ripped the top off Little D, and...it crumbled all over my lap - no, all over my black skirt! Awesome.

I pieced it back together as best I could before the light changed, and I suffered with the knowledge of my unprotected pits until I got to the office then tried again. Again, it littered itself all over my skirt and the floor until I could cobble together some usable pieces and use a kleenex to hold them and apply what I could. Quite the picture of a competent business professional, no?

Thank God I get to the office before any of my coworkers.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I can totally see this happening, mainly because it has happened to me, too! Only when you're wearing black will stuff like that happen, you know!

Where's my video? HAHA