Friday, June 06, 2008

I wonder...

if someday, electricity, at least as we know it to be dispensed, will be replaced completely with some other power source.

This thought actually came to me the last time I was vacuuming. As I worked my way around the house, dodging and moving the cord and having to stop periodically to unplug it and replug it into another outlet, I wondered if People of the Future will shake their heads in wonderment at our clumsy appliances and primitive power sources.

We can hardly imagine farming with a mule and a plow - it's all tractors, right? So, what if someday, all the appliances in our houses, with their cords tethered to the wall, will seem just as primitive. Does anyone besides me even still have a corded telephone in their house? And when did that change occur? Within the last 10 years for sure. Cell phones, and certainly cordless phones, have replaced them within recent memory.

So, what technology will be developed that releases us from electricity, or at least from cords and wires in our walls? Something is going to come along that just completely changes how we power things. And when it does, will it translate to cars in some way so that we're finally off fossil fuels, too? And will it happen within my lifetime? Will I be an old lady talking about "the old days" when I put gas in my car and all my appliances had cords? Will children marvel at how I managed to get anything done at all with those clunky tethers getting in the way?

Just an interesting thought, I think. (Save this post for when this all comes true and you can say, "Suzanne said in 2008 that this would happen.")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud to say that I was able to go on the "front line" to take pictures of you CRAZY people playing paintball. "Front Line" meaning hiding behind the referee while praying I don't get hit. :-) I'm glad you can cross this one off your list - as a survivor!
P.S. Thank you for not suing us!

Unknown said...

Wonder On Little One... Cuz it's gonna happen for sure! I just got my new wireless adapter for my sexy little guitar, and I wonder why I didn't get it 10 years ago, cause it is so spiffy I can hardly believe it, life changing really... I can walk around my house playing the guitar through my amp! Sweet! And Lord Knows I love my blue tooth ear bud when I'm chattin it up for hours on the cell phone. Technology makes life grand!

J!