Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Maybe I should stay in town more

I've been on the road a lot lately, and when you spend a lot of time driving, you become aware of things...like how often you make trips to the wee-wee room.

I should've already been aware of this considering how often I have to get up in the night, but I can do that only half-conscious. When you're driving, you've got to be awake and aware. And sometimes, on certain stretches of highway, the thing you're most aware of is how long it is between rest stops.

It's a safety issue, really. There are few things more distracting than a full bladder pressing on your entire lower body. I tried to pump gas not too long ago while in the throes of desperate need-to-peeage, and I made a mess of the whole process. Some toothless women working at the convenience store where I'd stopped had to come out and tell me how to operate the pump. Because I was stupid with agony.

So, it was satisfaction that while running errands at lunch today, I realized how completely comfortable it is to tool around in your car when you don't have to go to the bathroom. I actually took a moment to be present with calm sensation of the absence of urge.

And then I thought perhaps I've been spending too much time on the highways and byways when I'm actually aware of the fact that I'm operating my car and don't have to pee.

3 comments:

Judy said...

That is just a teensy bit scary that you are THAT aware of your body! LOL

Suzanne said...

I think it's a sign that I should never be a surgeon. I'm pretty sure that they're not allowed to leave the operating room every hour for a bathroom break.

Judy said...

You could be an oral surgeon - having my wisdom teeth pulled out (all four at once) only took about 20 minutes. Or Lasik - 20 seconds looking at a blinking light - you could do that.