Friday, September 14, 2007

Withdrawal looms

I will not get my usual fall Saturday football-o-rama this week. My friend that I'm going to the reunion with is not a football fan, so we shall not spend Saturday frantically switching among sports channels with every timeout to see what's happening with the other 4-6 games that are on that I might be interested in.

That means I had to get my fix last night with the Thurday games. It went well. For a while, Maryland kinda hung in there with West Virginia, so I switched between that and Air Force/TCU. But then West Virginia began to pull away, and Air Force began to come back, so I switched exclusively to Air Force/TCU, which was a good decision. That turned into a good game!

My policy on the service academies is that when any of them play anyone but UT, I root for the service academy. It's like rooting the America. When you root for a soldier, airman or seaman, you're rooting for the U.S. I like the idea that our servicemen are stronger, faster and tougher than the average beer-drinking, pot-smoking, reckless driving, possibly assault-committing prima donna college football player (I'm a little disgusted with UT players at the moment and their many run-ins with the law - can you tell?).

When they play each other, I only care about Army winning, because my dad is an Army vet. I don't care who wins when Air Force plays Navy.

So, I have nothing against TCU when I say that I was excited to see Air Force come back last night and I'm glad they won. Shoot, if anything, it'd be better for TCU if they ran the rest of the table. Considering the trouble we had with them, it would help us if they looked like a powerhouse. But I hate to see any U.S. military team lose anything, so I was glad Air Force rallied.

Let's just hope that'll hold me until next week. Maybe I can tape the UT game and watch it Sunday night...

No comments: