Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm too plugged in.

It's official. I have too many email addresses and too many passwords to sites, accounts, etc.

For years, I had three email accounts at any given time - a work one, a home one and then a home/business one that I could use to conduct personal business (my regular home one has a UT slant to the name, and sometimes you need to look professional, not like a football fan, and sometimes you just don't want everything under the sun coming to the same account that your friends send happy hour emails to).

My home/business one had my name in it, though, so then I started a 4th email account to use for stuff where I don't want my name showing (like eBay), but again, don't necessarily want cluttering up my "friend" email.

Then blogger made me start a Google account. That's when the downhill slide started. I was able to set it up using one of my existing email accounts for sign-in information, but still - 5 accounts was a little unwieldy. Then I started my business - email #6, to reflect the business name. Then, and this is went it all went off the rails, at my regular job, we started using a shareable Google calendar. To use the calendar, you have to tie into it using a Google Gmail account. Well, I couldn't use the Gmail account for my business for obvious reasons, and I didn't want to tie my personal Gmail account to it, so, you guessed it, I opened email account #7 - a Gmail account that uses my work email stuff for sign-in information.

That's officially too many. I don't remember to check them all. And at times I need one up and have to close one to open the other and I worry I'll have the wrong one up at work. Plus, when I got my high-speed at home, they asked me if I wanted to tie my AT&T high speed account to an existing Yahoo account, and I did, not knowing that they would change my password! So, even when I use one of the accounts I've had forever, I have to keep remembering that the password has changed!

It's too much. And yet, I can't close any of them down because they're all used for different things and tied to different things and it would be a pain to go in and re-tie things around. Oy. This modern world. It's getting to me.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Wow and I thought I had it bad! Sorry about all your crazy email mess - just let me know if you need to close down the "friend" one and use a different one!