Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mighty fine bread.

Great Harvest has mighty fine bread. Yes, they do. Good tasting. Only the best ingredients. Made right there in the store. By an angry lady who might kick your ass.

Their bread is so good, they can justify asking a ridiculous price. Or at least, they think they can justify it. Whether or not they can justify it, they charge it.

See, I had a coupon. I love coupons. I'm a coupon lady. I take the time to clip them, check them before I go to the store, and use them. It's like getting free stuff. In some cases, you actually get free stuff!

That was the lure yesterday. I could buy a loaf of bread and get one free. WHAT A DEAL!!! So, I hiked it on over to Westlake (a fru-fru part of town...where Great Harvest lives), and I showed the Angry Lady my coupon. She blandly directed me to "the board" where they had Monday's offerings listed. They're elite - they don't make everything everyday. They only make a portion of the menu each day. Hope you didn't go in there for something specific.

Anyway, the board listed the flavors, but not the prices. I didn't really notice that. At Amy's Ice Cream they do that, but all the flavors cost the same, so it doesn't matter. So, I selected Honey Wheat bread for my first choice, and then a flavored bread for my second. Angry Lady said they were out of the flavored one. So, I asked to sample a different flavor. She blandly handed me a sample. It was divine. Butterscotch. Wowowowowowow. I'll take it.

She rings me up. $7.30. With a coupon! It was 7 friggin 30 for ONE loaf of bread! My ears rang a little, but I didn't want to seem cheap (as I stood their with my 2-for-1 coupon), so I gave her a $20 bill, got my cash and left. I told my mom about it later, and she was sure they'd charged me for both loaves.

I got home and Angry Lady had given me no receipt, so I went back today. SURELY they had overcharged me...accidentally. With Angry Lady looking on (I had hoped she wouldn't be there), I asked the manager about it, and he pointed to a different sign above the counter area - one with prices. Dear God in Heaven, the butterscotch bread (which he informed me was actually considered a pound cake...because that's worth WAY more than bread, I guess) was $7.30. All by itself.

Embarrassed that I hadn't checked the price before ordering or when Angry Lady rang me up, and that I'd actually come all the way back across town for nothing - to stand there and be shown what the other customers present in the store probably already knew - that the friggin' bread is ridiculously expensive and if I lived in Westlake, I'd buy it without even noticing it cost $7.30 a loaf (for the pound cakes, that is) - I sheepishly said "Oh okay" and slinked out of the store.

I'm pretty sure Angry Lady will now will remember me if I go in again. That's not good. She seriously looks like she'd kick your ass as soon as look at you. And now I may have made her angry. The best case scenario is she spits in my bread if I go back.

So, I guess I'll enjoy my really good, really expensive bread, and never go back. It really must be different to be rich.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Great googly-moogly. I can get two cheeseburger happy meals at McDonalds and still have change left over for a large diet coke with that 7.30 you spent at Great Harvest! Are they NUTS?

At least you know, and you got a loaf for free!