Monday, June 25, 2007

A weekend at home...finally.

My first weekend at home in a month was a rousing success. I haven't been blogging much about my weekends and social activities lately, so you may not know this, but I've been out of town the last three weekends in a row. Such things cause a person's house to get completely out of hand. But this weekend, I finally stayed home and actually got to do both social and practical things. Here is the roundup:

Friday night. I got home, changed into comfortable clothes, laid down on the couch to watch TV and try and convince myself to do something productive. After about half an hour, Angela called me and invited me to go out with her and her boyfriend's posse. This was way more appealing that doing something productive. So, after about another half hour on the couch, I finally got up and showered and repackaged myself for a night out. Big fun was had by all (except for the loser on the rooftop at Speakeasy who was wearing sunglasses - at 1:00 a.m. Angela tried to explain to him that the sunglasses were truly a hindrance to whatever it was he was trying to accomplish, but he continued to wear them anyway. Loser.).

Saturday. I did not leave the house. In a good way. I got through some paperwork that had been piling up, made pumpkin bread for a reception (church thing, but not a wedding thing), did laundry and managed to watch the entire third season of "Deadliest Catch." There was a marathon on the Discovery channel. It's called multi-tasking. And no, I haven't seen seasons one or two, so I'll have to catch up on them at some point. Maybe Netflix has it.

Sunday. I went to Sunday School and the aforementioned reception. This is where I must complain. I really like the lady who planned the reception. Earlier in the week, she asked for help setting up, and I said I'd help because anytime I can help this lady out, and hang out with her for that matter, I'm on board. Did I mention she's in her mid-70s? I love her, though. I want to be her when I'm in my 70s. What I didn't know was that Control Freak Lady (another member of our Sunday School class) was also helping. "Helping" is the wrong word when Control Freak Lady is involved. The proper expression of her efforts is "taking over."

I might as well have not been there. CFL took over everything, instructing us where to put things and what to do and how to do it, according to her wishes (I should repeat here that she was NOT the host of this reception - mid-70s lady was the host) - except me. She instructed me in nothing. Me, she ignored. She acted like I wasn't there, even ignoring me outright when I tried to chime in a couple of times about things. Oh, except when I offered to go get the fruit tray out of the church fridge. She then acknowledged me enough to tell me that SHE thought it should come out later. Fine. Do it yourself, then, CFL.

Worse yet, I had been led to believe that the reception would start an hour earlier than it actually did. So, I had to wander around, helping with nothing (since CFL deemed me invisible), for a freakin' hour, waiting for the reception to begin. I would've walked out except that I didn't want mid-70s lady to be upset if she figured out I was leaving because I was pissed, and I didn't want to leave without actually attending the reception for our classmate. And if I left, trust me, I wasn't coming back. So, I sucked it up and tried to be discreet about rolling my eyes everytime CFL spoke and finally, 30 minutes into the reception, I was able to slip out. Arrrgh.

The rest of the day was kind of a repeat of Saturday, but without "Deadliest Catch." The house is almost habitable again. I did find a new show on Sunday to keep up with, though. "Ice Road Truckers." I didn't think I'd want to watch it, but I tried it out, and I DO. Here's the deal: There are diamond minds in the Northwest Territories of Canada, up near the Arctic Circle. Who knew? Not me. Anyway, 10 months of the year, these mines are cut off from any overland approach. They're socked in by lakes - no road in. But 2 months of the year, the lakes freeze over, and the Canadian government creates an ice road - as in a road on top of the ice - for 18-wheelers, carrying loads in the tens of thousands of pounds, to drive over, carrying supplies to these mines. This show follows a handful of the truckers driving this insane trek. And Suzanne is watching.

Did I mention I need Tivo?

1 comment:

Judy said...

AHHHHHH!!!! You got sucked into to Ice Road Truckers!

The boys wanted to watch it, but I just can't do another reality-type show...not during baseball season (even if the Astros suck).