Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm going to do it. Really I am.

The new job has come with a small bump in pay, but it's enough of a bump that I can actually look into joining the 21st century. I'm going to upgrade on two technological fronts. I'm going to get DSL (yes, that's right Virginia, I'm currently on dial-up), and I'm going to get a DVR.

Actually, the DVR thing isn't set in stone yet. I need to find out how much it would cost me to upgrade my Dish Network receiver to a DVR model. I think I actually own the receiver I have now, which means they'll probably make me pay for a new DVR model, then I'd pay the extra monthly fee for the service. The monthly fee isn't much - less than $10. But I just need to get the details. Of course, I barely have time to watch all the stuff I've already got recorded using my VCR, and I've had a Netflix DVD sitting on my table, waiting to be watched, for a week now. But it's Tivo! (Legal disclaimer: Tivo is a trademark. My actual digital video recording equipment and service will not be provided by Tivo. I will have a Tivo-like recording experience.)

I also need to impose on my mom to come and wait for the AT&T guy when I get my DSL. I know people who just get equipment sent to them and they install their DSL stuff themselves. But those are people who know how to do things. I do not. And I don't wish to screw it up or become enraged with frustration when I can't make it work. So, I'll pay for someone to come install it and get it up and running. Except that I can't take any time off from work yet, so my mom will have to be the one to sit at my house and wait for the guy to show up. So, I can't set up the appointment until she gets some stuff off her plate and can afford to waste a whole day sitting at my house.

So, I guess what I should have said was that I plan, eventually, to make these technological upgrades, but I don't actually know when. Does intent count for anything?

2 comments:

Judy said...

Intent is 80% of the process. Congratulations!

Judy said...

Hey - my mom will be here sometime the end of August - I just have to let her know when and for how long. Scott will be out of town for essentially two weeks between different commitments, and I will be starting my inservice/getting ready for school, so she's my babysitter!

YES, we will definitely hook up for a meal somewhere with the moms! Maybe a lunch or brunch - if we do it on a weekend/Saturday, then Scott will be there to watch the kids.

But, before I get too far ahead of myself, let me find out when she'll actually be here! HAHA