Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's hot.

Zowie. It's hot. I know the calendar says it's spring, but trust me, it's summer.

I kinda knew it was summer just from the fact that it's June. In Texas, summer generally starts in May, so we were on borrowed time with all the mild weather and rain we had through May. But there's no deluding ourselves anymore. The temps are in the mid-90s. My car (which is no longer sheltered in a parking garage) is sweltering when I run errands at lunch. I'm in sleeveless shirts everyday. I sweat if I'm out of the air conditioning for more than a few minutes.

On the upside, summer means the Paramount Summer Classic Film Series! For the first time in probably 10 years, I didn't buy a book of tickets last year. The lineup of films didn't do anything for me last year, and I had a lot going on, and I just didn't go. But it's usually one of the hallmarks of summer for me.

This year, though, I got my book of tickets, and last night, I went to my first classic movie of the year, The Thin Man. I love the Thin Man movies! William Powell and Myrna Loy are hilarious, and the writing is fantastic. If you've never watched any of the movies in the series, you've got to check them out. They're just a scream. Any movie made in 1934 that can still pack a theater in 2007 - well, that oughtta tell you something.

Tonight is "After The Thin Man." I'll be there.

No comments: