Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Day Four

Here we are, Tuesday, January 16, and I am home alone (okay, with my cat) for the fourth day in a row. Sheeeeeesh.

For anyone who doesn't know, we're in the midst of an ice storm here in Austin-town. It's been below freezing since last night, and it's not expected to get above freezing until sometime tomorrow. And this is on top of several days of rain and continuing freezing rain.

Now, in the north, this would seem like no big dea. But here in Central Texas, we get icy conditions maybe once a year - if that. So, we have basically no equipment for dealing with it. The city of Austin has a few trucks it can deploy to apply de-icer and sand to the major roads (mostly the bridges and fly-overs, since they're most likely to freeze), but other than that, we're pretty much socked in. Most of the roads ice up with no relief until nature melts the ice, and no one's tires have chains on them or are even all-weather tires for that matter (it was in the 60s and sunshiny last week - get it?). That means the few shmucks who venture out end up in accidents, tying up emergency personnel.

So, it's just better for everyone if people just stay put until the weather passes. It never lasts more than a few days, so it's not as if the city is going to go under. And it happens so rarely, it's not worth spending the money on the equipment it would take to keep things going when it does happen. So, just enjoy the day off.

Except for me, it's been four days now. See, at first, I was staying off the roads because it was raining pretty badly and I didn't want to end up in an accident from that little road hazard. And now, the roads are iced over, and I don't want to go sliding off into a ditch. And what the hell? I had tons of stuff to do here at the house. But all the laundry is done, all the ironing is finished, all my files have been cleaned out and the old stuff shredded. The house has been vacuumed, I've tried two new recipes - I've even done some online shopping. I've exercised. I've read. And I've watched several basketball games, a couple of movies and tons of mystery shows and sitcoms (Have you seen Reba McIntyre's sitcom "Reba"? That's a funny show!). I'm over it now.

Don't get me wrong. With my current work situation, any day I don't have to go to the office is a great day. And I love being at my house. I really do - I like my space. And I don't even mind being alone. For the most part, I'm just fine with my own company. But enough already! Girlfren is ready for an ice day where I get to go play at the mall or hang out with my friends. Do they have those up north?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup. Just put on your crampons and spike your way to the mall!!!

I think you spelt girlfriend incorrectly.

Up north we shifted the bad weather to other regions. There will no doubt be a price.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, sister! As much of a homebody as I seem to be these days, this is a bit ridiculous. At least you got some major projects done. All I did was manage to clean out the pantry! Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Z. I had major "cabin fever" yesterday and was ready to leave the house today. I've been holed up with two houseguests, four dogs and two cats since Monday.