Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'm a slow adopter.

I've decided to ask for a digital camera for Christmas, but like asking a friend to set you up on a blind date, it's important to be specific about what you want. Never send your mom (who also doesn't have a digital camera) wandering through Best Buy to buy you electronics with nothing more than a category to guide her. Give her a bar code for what you want if possible. And seeing as I've never had a digital camera (and my blind dates have rarely gone well), I think it's wise to tap into the vast knowledge of you people out there who actually HAVE digital cameras.

What advice can you give me? What do you like about your digital cameras and what do you hate? What would you like to have next time, and what features did you pay for but you never use? Which brands/models would you recommend and which ones should I spit on?

So far, I've been told to go for a 5 megapixel, and to avoid models that take alkaline batteries - they eat up batteries like no tomorrow and are always going out on you. I was told to go for a lithium-ion battery one, and to get one that comes with accessories to recharge it - like a dock.

I should mention that I'm not really planning on printing out a lot of my pictures. For the pics I think I'll want for posterity, I'll stick with my film 35 mm. I want this one for casual outings where the pics I take will most be emailed or posted online. Is that crazy? Does everyone say that when they first get a digital, and soon they're using it for everything???

1 comment:

Judy said...

Okay, I have a Kodak Easyshare, 3.2 megapixel camera. I love that I can choose the pics I want to develop instead of going through a whole roll of blah photos to get that one photo I really, really wanted. 3.2 isn't too shabby. Mine is an alkaline battery camera, and most batteries it eats in record time, but for some reason Energizers last quite a while in my camera. You can also use rechargables in it.

What I CANNOT STAND about my camera is the reaction time. I push the button and there are literally SECONDS that tick by before the camera actually takes the picture. That's all fine well and good if you're taking a picture of a building or a flower, but try it with a one year-old. Ain't happening. This is how I got Tyler puking on the carpet way back in March or so. Usually, I push the button, call his name, he looks at me, he looks away, and THEN the picture takes. Ugh.

It all depends on what kind of moolah will be spent on the camera. My sister-in-law has a Canon and LOVES it. My parents have a Kodak, too and love it. My in-laws have a little Vivitar with movie capability and adore theirs.

Good luck in your search!