Monday, November 07, 2005

And we're off!

Okay, friends and neighbors, let's see how I do with this blog thing! As my intro says, I generally start a journal when suffering through some sort of angst, then when the drama is over, so is my journal. Let's see if I can find anything to talk about (that's fit for public consumption) when life is just rollin' along!

Today has been a chapter in my life as a car owner. I own a silver 2002 Cougar. It's a V6, and it's just plain SPIFFY! But it's also been a pain. I've had all kinds of repairs that I was trying to avoid by buying a brand new car back in February of 2002. Until then, I'd always had used cars, but I thought I'd step up and buy new and have everything work. That's what happens when you buy new, right - things work? Well, thank god I trust nothing to work as it should (I'm also a homeowner - I've long since learned to expect everything to crap out on you and the repairman to be late) and bought an extended warranty. I've used it. I've got 10,000 miles left on it, and I probably won't keep the car much past the warranty expiration. It's been suggested I consider an import next time. This tears at my patriotic soul, but so does having my car in the shop all the time. There's bound to be something un-American about that, too...

Anyway, I've had a brake light flickering on at times when it shouldn't for several weeks, and last week I noticed it leaking oil, so I thought I should get it looked at. "Getting it looked at" isn't as simple as it sounds. All you people out there with "spouses" and "second cars" or "access to public transportation" have no idea what a hassle it is for a single person living nowhere near a bus line to deal with these sorts of transit gliches. You can drive it down to the dealership or repair shop and leave it, but then what? If you can get it there in the morning, the repair guys *might* give you a ride to work, but how long will they have it? Can you get a ride back if they finish it in a day? Or do you have to impose on someone to drive you home? How will you get to work the next day? Do you rent a car? Can someone lend you a car? H.a.s.s.l.e.

Luckily, my parents live nearby, and they're able to loan me a car in these situations, but again, it involves bothering other people to arrange pickups and drop-offs and the like. But this is what one must do. So I did. On this occasion, it's simple maintenance stuff. The oil leak is something to do with the filter that should be easily fixed with an oil change, and the brake light is because I need fluid. $40, please, for the diagnosis. But at least I get my car back tonight. I think it might be laughing at me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your car is not the only thing laughing. I'm still getting used to this blog stuff too...

Judy said...

NICE POST! You rock!

If it is any consolation, we have had cars in and out of the shops all year - both with TRANSMISSION ISSUES...two repair shops in our town are getting extreme makeovers because WE FUNDED IT! Anyway, my car always craps out when that other adult who lives here happens to be away on business. And, I have car seats to impose on others! Glad to hear it isn't anything serious with your car...have you looked at a hybrid? What about a Mazda? My parents have driven Mazdas since, gosh, 1984???? They LOVE them...never any problems whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who has car issues. I'm not happy about your pain, but I am happy to not be the only one that crosses her fingers every time I start my car. One more day without a car payment....I can do this....

Keep up the blogs! Let me know when you sell your car. I might be in the market! :-) Laurie

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Stopping by via Judy to say hi! Hope you like the blogging world!

Anonymous said...

Toyota now "mostly" makes cars in the USA so you can have the Japanese reliability made in the USA. Buy Japanese. They are shorter so their eyes are closer to the circuit boards. Was that racist?
Sharonda

Suzanne said...

Sharonda, I wouldn't say racist. I'd say "culturally aware." Shuh-ree