Friday, May 15, 2009

Gimme A Break!

You thought I was gonna rant, didn't you? But that would be so unlike me!

No, I'm referring to the 80s Nell Carter show, Gimme a Break. What's great about this show was how it portrayed both who I wanted to be and who I was. (See how it's always about me? Well, it is MY blog!) I *wanted* to be Nell, and I *was* Julie - nerdy smart girl with mousy brown permed hair and glasses. But oh, how I yearned to be the wise, smart-ass with the heart of gold and the sharp tongue! I wanted to be able to crack the whip and still have everyone love me.



Everyone assumes that every little girl wanted to be Katie - the beautiful blonde older sister. But for me, it was all about Nell. I even wanted to be a singer like Nell Carter, beltin' it out on the big stage and winning Tony awards (or Grammys or whatever else would denote a successful singing career). I was sad when she died in 2003. She was only 54 - much too young. That woman had a lot more singing to do and zingers to sling!

As a sidenote, I also complained alot that they needed to cut Joey Lawrence's hair. I was never much into that bowl cut he had. He seems to have taken my advice to heart. Whoa! (Yes, I know that's a Blossom reference, not Gimme A Break, but hey - gimme a break!)

1 comment:

Judy said...

Okay, please tell me that outfit of Joey's is from something like "Dancing with the Stars" and he's not on his way into Wal Mart or such.

LOVED Gimme a Break - what a great show!