Thursday, April 09, 2009

American Idol, not America's Next Top Broadway Performer

I don't know how many of my readers watch American Idol, but J got me back into it a couple of seasons ago, and we've been pretty religious about watching the last two seasons. It's fun to have contestants to root for and those you hope will be eliminated each week (you know it's true), but the downside is when the person you think should win - hands down - is not the person the media campaigns for.

This season, that's my situation. I love Danny Gokey. J is right there with me, too - we both think he should be the winner, and it shouldn't even be in question. Of all the singers on there this season, we feel like he's the one who is most marketable as radio-play singer. If a record company gave him a contract today, I really believe he could have a career. He might not be as huge as Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson, because he's not country or straight pop - he's got more of an R&B kinda thing goin on. But he's solid, and he's really personable, and he really behaves like a pro, and he's got a great story and a good look. That guy should be doing this for a living.



But the media wants Adam. Adam Lambert. Blech. Adam is a talented singer and he's got stage presence and he'd also be a pro. But what Adam should be doing is STAGE work. Adam should be on Broadway - he should be in Rent or Mama Mia or something - not on a concert tour. He's not a rocker. He's not even a pop star. His over-processed look does nothing for me - he's like Johnny Rzeznik if Muzak Goth were doing him. And the high notes he hits are like a vocal trick he's learned rather than a full tenor-type sound. And every performance is like Andrew Lloyd Weber put it together. I can't stand him. And it's not because he's bad - if this were a competition for a lead in a Broadway musical, I'd vote for him all the way and cheer. But it's not. It's for a contract as a solo recording artist in a mainstream genre.

And much as the media and the AI judges want us to crown Adam the untouchable king of this year's competition, it just doesn't work for me. I wouldn't buy an album by the guy. I wouldn't go to a concert of his. But I might go to a show if he were in a leading role - after all, in THAT scenario he's actually SUPPOSED to be in costume!



Danny, on the other hand - that guy I can get behind. I just hope that the media isn't able to influence the real vote. They've backed the wrong horse before. If it had been up to the media, it would've been David Archuleta instead of David Cook we saw on a guest appearance the other day. Hopefully, we'll dodge the bullet again this season. Go Danny!!

1 comment:

Johnny Austin said...

GO, GO, GO, GOKEY!