Thursday, December 06, 2007

Austin - Tinsel Town South

They're filming a movie scene outside my office window today. I don't know who "they" are, but "they" seem to have a real budget for real equipment. It's not just some students from film school walking down the sidewalk with a handheld. Here's what I've seen twice so far:

I hear honking - insistent honking that says, "Hold up! Comin' thru!"

I look out the window, and there's a motorcycle cop. He stops traffic and keeps looking behind him.

After a few seconds, here comes a truck with a flatbed. On the flatbed is some kind of crane-camera rig. The camera is aimed at a car driving alongside the truck (on the first pass, the camera was looking right into the passenger window and the car stayed even with the truck; on the second pass, the camera was in front of the car, shooting through the window, and then the car sped up and passed the truck and the crane/camera swung around and ended up shooting through the passenger window).

Bringing up the rear is another motorcycle cop, and as the truck clears the intersection, traffic resumes.

They pass right by my office and then...I don't know, because I go back to work.

Pretty cool. At my last job, they spent an entire day filming a scene from a Tommy Lee Jones movie ("Man of the House") right outside my office window. He hung out, right outside my window all day...looking bored, if you really want to know. I took pictures. Because hey man - it's Tommy Lee Jones. I wonder what this movie is. Anyone know what major motion picture is filming in Austin right now?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Z! That is Awesome! Sept for all the annoying honking, I'm sure you are having quite a time trying to concentrate on all your work consdering how early you have to get up and the lack of sleep... But while I'm a work today I'll see if the casting company upstairs knows what movie they were shooting downtown today and I'll let you know...

J

Judy said...

We're finishing up Kings of Appletown with the bobsy twins - oops - that's Zack and Cody from Disney - this week. Its been a pain to work around their little shootings around town lately!