Friday, December 16, 2005

Maybe I'm just allergic to breathing.

Did I say Austin is the most kick-ass city in the country? Because I may have to move. My allergies are pounding me. I've said that before when my allergies were particularly debilitating, but that's when cedar fever had me prostrate for almost 2 months straight. This time, the cedar hasn't even started blooming yet! It would appear I've now developed a sensitivity to molds. I'm doomed.

For anyone reading this who doesn't know Austin, we have allergens like nobody's business. Seriously. As part of our weather forecasts, we have allergy forecasts. And the mother of all allergens is cedar. It's so strong and affects so many people, the reaction is called cedar fever and it's a regular part of conversation and newscasts. It's something like a third of the population just gets hammered by it, and I have often been among that third.

It's the MALE trees that cause the problem (no surprise there, huh ladies?). They produce so much pollen that they appear to be smoking at times, particularly if there's any breeze.



I don't feel well enough at the moment to make the obvious comparisons to males of the human species. Just do your best to think of what hilarious comment I might make and giggle to yourself. Anyway a low amount of cedar pollen in the air is considered to be less than 499 grains per cubic meter. I've seen it register at more than 6,000 in Austin. It's brutal.

And now, I'm also being abused by molds. It just ain't right. All that's left is oak - our spring allergy culprit. I develop a sensitivity to that, and I may not be able to leave the house long enough to even pack a moving van. I just hope my current allergy-muddled state is not an indication that things will only get worse as Mr. Cedar makes his appearance. January is the worst month for it. I'm poppin' Zyrtec and drinking liquids to keep everything "flowing" so I don't create an environment friendly for sinus infection. But I fear I may be kidding myself.

It's a good thing this city has a lot of great, affordable restaurants. Otherwise, UHaul might have a new customer.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Invest in one of those air purifier towers. The people who we stayed with at the house had them all over the place and they did help somewhat (he's just an outdoorsy kind of guy, and they don't work so well in the Great Expanse.

Judy said...

HEY! Where have you been? We have lunch and then you can't bring yourself to post, is that it? Tee hee!

Judy said...

Did you move or something? Sick? Stressed about Christmas? Come on, woman, ANSWER ME!

hee hee!

Suzanne said...

I know - I've been AWOL this whole week! But I'm back now! I put a Houston post on there tonight, and I'm going to tackle our wonderful lunch date from last week on tomorrow's post! BTW, my brother has Roadrunner for his ISP...I liiiiike the Roadrunner. It's my new fren.